Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bailing out vs. being bailed
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:40 pm 

Joe Grimm answers a question raised by an intern who is wondering if he (or she?) should leave an internship early for a real job, given that not much is going on at the internship. Grimm says:

Quote:
Not to sound like a fortune cookie, but today's decisions are the parents of tomorrow's.

Coming at this problem in a sideways direction, what does an employer's decision to lay off people say in Joe's fortune-cookie world? And does laying off someone make Joe feel like the employer is breaking a promise?

My reaction (which apparently is not politically correct for recruiters who are, after all, in the business of obtaining employees) was to tell the intern that if the internship was not paid, to jump to the job if it is offered. On the other hand, Joe Grimm's advice -- that the intern should not offer to dump the internship -- is probably good if the intern is talking to a recruiter.

Post subject: Re: Bailing out vs. being bailed
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:53 pm 

longwords wrote:
On the other hand, Joe Grimm's advice -- that the intern should not offer to dump the internship -- is probably good if the intern is talking to a recruiter.

One would think someone involved in hiring would care whether a job candidate had any sense of loyalty.
However:
Long ago my then-employer's slightly larger competitor offered a job. News editor wanted me to start ASAP.
I said I wouldn't take the job without giving at least two weeks' notice. News editor looked embarrassed and went along with it. For better and worse, he was one of the most decent bosses there.

Agree that layoffs, etc., make expectations of strong loyalty from employees unreasonable.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]