Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Call Me Skeptical Dept.
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:10 am 

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Why did I decide to move to Buenos Aires straight out of graduating from GW? Everyone asked me back in the States, and every Argentine I meet continues to inquire.

Had I ever been to Argentina? No. Did I have a job lined up for when I arrived? No. An apartment? Nope. Family, friends? Did I have any idea what I was going to do in a foreign country, alone and without any connections?

I could - and do - list many reasons for my decision to move abroad. I wanted a drastic change. I wanted to become fluent in Spanish. I wanted to travel. I wanted to avoid the reality that my career as a professional student was over. But more than anything, the single episode that motivated me to flee the comfort of the States was a box of latex gloves.

It was a Friday afternoon in mid-April when I had my first big job interview. It was the kind of job a journalism major salivates over: working as a copy editor for The Washington Post. In reality, copy editor was code for a job in the mailroom. My job: to open the reporters' mail and, to assist me in my work, my interviewer pointed to a large box of latex gloves. They were for my own protection, in case opening up the reporters' mail got messy or arsenical.
(GW Hatchet)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:38 am 

I loved the years I lived in B.A., Argentina, but that's no reason to diss copy editors.

Not to mention that some of us lost friends to Anthrax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:19 pm 

I think she was dissing mailroom clerks. Where she got the notion that copy editors work in the Post mailroom is beyond me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:28 pm 

Any possibility that she has confused being a copy aide with a copy editor?

As a GW and a Hatchet alum, though, I shake my head. Back in getting-older days, we sent a lot of folks to the Dow Jones Newspaper Fund program. (Myself included.) They should know what a copy editor is.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:23 pm 

I too am a GW and a Hatchet alum. The paper had copy editors back in the late 1970s. And an editor from slightly before my time worked as a part-time Post copy editor before his graduation, if I remember correctly. (Now he lurks here.)

I majored in journalism and political science. Since then, the journalism program was replaced, as I understand it, by one that combined "communications" with political affairs.
Perhaps something was lost.

I'm perplexed. Perhaps vtuss has nailed it: "copy aide," not "copy editor."

Perhaps the term "copy editor" is fading away.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:53 am 

Wayne Countryman wrote:

I majored in journalism and political science. Since then, the journalism program was replaced, as I understand it, by one that combined "communications" with political affairs.
Perhaps something was lost.

The department was known as "Political Communications" when I was a student (late 80's). I graduated from the School of International Affairs. I noticed this (academic) year in particular that copy editing at the Hatchet was poor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:53 am 

Seems to me the joke's on her if misreading a job ad caused her to flee the country. Though said misreading tends to indicate she wouldn't have passed a copy editing test anyway. Still, what ever happened to the the concept of starting at the bottom and working your way up? I ended up working the same types of jobs I'd done in college for the first year or so after graduation till I got my first "real" job.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]