Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Benefits include eligibility for welfare
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:42 pm 

From JJobs:

Quote:
Bootstrap COMMUNITY Journalism #101: Opportunity for interns, novices and just plain out of work folks - seniors/retirees--to hitch a ride on The Berkshire Beacon, Lenox, MA and establish a portfolio while doing all the drudgery work--writing hard news & feature stories, capturing sporting events, taking digital pictures to help frame the stories and accent the advertisements and compete on special editions including a summer tourist Tab (Berkshire Sonata) while substituting a gallon or two of gasoline and a modest stipend for the big money you think you should earn. No sea shells, no life at the beach. Just an opportunity to put one's creativity and multitask efforts--including sales, marketing, writing, design, photography and self-enterprising initiatives--on the pages of The Berkshire Beacon and its web site. (www.berkshirebeacon.com) You may need a stipend, a sleeping bag and some snacks, but the money will flow once the cohesive small newspaper family is formed and your personal commitment helps make this the Best New England Weekly as voted by New England Press Association (NEPA) www.nepa.org This is Bootstrap Journalism #101 at its best. Check out this site REF: Small Newspapers:http://www.asne.org/kiosk/reports/97reports/smallnewspapers/contents.html It doesn't get any better than to see the formation of a dedicated staff dressed for success? This means: You're ready to share in The Berkshire Hills experience. (See www.lenox.org) Our goal is to produce a community TAB that will be recognized and respected each week by our readers and its advertisers. The rewards are endless including at the end of your three years a $2,500.00 U.S. Savings Bond and an unheard of non-voting stakeholder's position along with other assisted benefits as the newspaper continues to meet clearly defined objectives.(A new Massachusetts Health plan may be available to you: https://www.macommonwealthcare.com/goal ... /intro.jsp) Also, you will be a key member of a proposed Berkshire Journalism Boot Camp team reaching out to help the next generation of interns become acquainted with the many facets of small newspaper employment. We are the "Heart" of The Berkshires and thus the goal of our newspaper is: “Berkshire Hometown News First.” If you're up for the challenge and can't wait to see your byline in print--E-Mail your resume (Subject marked: BEACON) to: george@berkshirebeacon.com or call 413-637-2250 regarding your possible career opportunity at The Beacon.-George C. Jordan III, ED & PUB

Yowza! Sign me up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:27 pm 

***non-voting stakeholder's position***

Newspeak for "slavery"?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:52 pm 

*Best New England Weekly* Nice affirmation of my loathing for contests. If you can be the best while paying people nothing to do everything, the scale the contest-people are using is all wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:25 am 

Read carefully... they're not saying they're the best already. They're saying "the money will flow once the cohesive small newspaper family is formed and your personal commitment helps make this the Best New England Weekly as voted by New England Press Association (NEPA)."

Never mind that the NEPA has no award called "Best New England Weekly." (They make a point of calling their winners "better newspapers," not "the best.") Or that the Berkshire Beacon is not mentioned at all in the NEPA's list of winners for 2006. The message is that yours will be a "non-voting stakeholder's position" until you personally turn this pipe dream of a paper into a regional powerhouse.

Do that, and they might pay you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:15 pm 

onceahack wrote:
Read carefully... they're not saying they're the best already. They're saying "the money will flow once the cohesive small newspaper family is formed and your personal commitment helps make this the Best New England Weekly as voted by New England Press Association (NEPA)."

Never mind that the NEPA has no award called "Best New England Weekly." (They make a point of calling their winners "better newspapers," not "the best.") Or that the Berkshire Beacon is not mentioned at all in the NEPA's list of winners for 2006. The message is that yours will be a "non-voting stakeholder's position" until you personally turn this pipe dream of a paper into a regional powerhouse.

Do that, and they might pay you.

Lord. That is how I read it the first time; read it again and thought I was mistaken and they were indeed saying they existed and had won an award.
I almost signed up for a pipe-dream magazine when I was first starting out. Really crazy lofty plans the publisher hopful had. Funny part of the story is, I'm pretty sure the woman did end up coming out with a cheesy city tab paper about 10 years later. (Glad I wasn't on the payroll during all that time.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:10 pm 

The rewards are endless including at the end of your three years a $2,500.00 U.S. Savings Bond...

Come on, guys, After three years you get a savings bond!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:07 am 

Don't overlook that you may be eligible for health insurance in the state-mandated "uninsured" pool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:47 pm 

KfitzR wrote:
The rewards are endless including at the end of your three years a $2,500.00 U.S. Savings Bond...

Come on, guys, After three years you get a savings bond!

...which will have a cash value of half that amount unless you hold onto it for a decade or so till it reaches its face value. Whoopdedoo. Stuff like this goes to show why I could never be an entrepreneur, because there's no way I'd ever expect perfect strangers to devote their lives to my dream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:58 pm 

"Unheard-of!"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:00 pm 

Capitalism 101: Cash is king

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:46 am 

April Fool's! Ha, ha, ha, ha! Yeah, that job ad was a good joke ... wait, what do you mean it wasn't a joke?!

Gatekeeper

-30-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:00 am 

KfitzR wrote:
Come on, guys, after three years you get a savings bond!

Gee, I missed that part! At maturity of the $2500 bond, I will have earned just over $16 a week for each of those three years. And I was skeptical enough to think that when they said "the money will flow" they didn't mean it would flow my way.

You know, when you're too cynical, you tend to miss opportunities like these.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:46 am 

"They're saying "the money will flow once the cohesive small newspaper family is formed and your personal commitment helps make this the Best New England Weekly "

That's the reason they had so many children on the family farm. Nothing else to do but fornicate and work your fingers to the bone.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]