Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Salary stuck in a rut
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:54 pm 

This job in Wyoming lists a salary range of $35,000 to 40,000:

Quote:
Successful applicant will have a decade of news room experience (desk exp. on a daily a plus), and a background in photography, page design and pagination, reporting and copy editing.

Parade magazine has its annual "What People Earn" issue today. The article says:

Quote:
Workers' productivity grew an impressive 18% between 2000 and 2006--but most people's inflation-adjusted weekly wages rose only 1% during that time. This was the first economic expansion since World War II without a sustained pay increase for rank-and-file workers. Typical 2007 raises will be small, experts say. ...

In the last five years, inflation-adjusted wages rose less than 1% a year for the vast majority of households. But for the top 5% of earners, they jumped 2.5% a year. And for the top 1% of earners, the gains were much bigger: In 2005, the average CEO made 369 times as much as the average worker, compared with 131 times as much in 1993. ,,,

(John Challenger, president of Challenger, Gray & Christmas, a global outplacement firm) worries that, with college so expensive, graduates are forced to seek higher-salaried jobs to pay off their debts, avoiding critical lower-paying fields like education and social services.

This job as a managing editor pays less and has way fewer benefits than many teaching jobs. Some teachers in the county where I work start above $38,000. They don't have to worry about what a "global outplacement firm" will do to their jobs.

I wonder how much longer candiates will be available for jobs like the one in Wyoming, where a wide range of skills are called for. More reporters leaving the company where I work are going into other fields.

If salaries get stuck in the mid-$30,000 range, which is what I have seen for most of the editing jobs that included salaries, the career may become one that people enter and then drop out of. The cost-cutting at many newspapers won't help copy editors to improve their skills and seek promotions, because the promotions won't exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:49 pm 

Yeah, I saw that Wyoming ad and had similar thoughts. Perhaps they'd argue that salary range is decent for the area's presumably low cost of living --- sort of like how lots of job ads for states like Washington and others try to make the lack of state income tax a selling point so they can offer a low salary --- but those arguments get nowhere with anybody who can do basic math.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:56 am 

The link about productivity outlines a fundamental logical flaw that appears in just about all stories which report on productivity gains: Classical economic theory holds that wage gains can happen only when there is an improvement in productivity -- when the same output of energy can produce more widgets & gidgets.

While this is presumably true, it does not mention that no matter how much more productive a company may become, it remains up to the management to determine who shares in those productivity gains. In the past 15-20 year top managers have simply refused to pass along a share in the benefits of increased productivity -- which has been kind to stockholders and indifferent to everybody else. As anybody can tell you who's owned a share of stock, the more you own, the more benefits you accrue. Top managers cry "answering to market demands" all the way to the bank, where they deposit the free, no-risk money handed to them in the form of stock grants and options.

Our options come down to buying stock and/or voting with our feet.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:49 pm 

That's why there are unions.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:07 pm 

Lately when unions are in the news, it is because they have given concessions, not won favorable new contracts.

I think it is more likely that tax cuts for the rich will become more unpopular with voters. Whether the political fallout will actually help workers is another question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:35 am 

Earlier this month while on a visit to my parents, I stopped by my old high school and spoke to the class that puts out the school paper about "careers" in journalism. The first question from the students was "how much do you make?" I think I might have reduced the future labor pool for our industry by 30 people, but I gave them a straight answer regarding salaries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:39 pm 

Arranging a special screening of His Girl Friday will get them comfortably away from reality.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:54 am 

Money has never been a problem in the 15 years that I've copy edited. I make a healthy salary. I've always focused on my work. My approach has always been straightforward:

* I go where the best job is. If I'm not willing to go, I understand that I'm trading off money.
* Whenever I consider a career move, I focus on what I can learn and how I can broaden my resume.
* I've worked at many papers with good editors. I've paid close attention to their work.
* When I rimmed, I checked all my slotted type. Even after years of slotting, I still look at others' edits so I can learn.
* I write headlines that make people want to read stories.
* I work especially hard to write friendly, approachable headlines that get people to read at least a few inches of even the most boring story before they turn away in horror.
* If my headline doesn't work, I don't hesitate to rewrite it.
* My priority is getting the best headline in the paper; it doesn't have to be my headline.
* I feel lucky to be doing this job. I'm usually in a good mood and am ready to joke around. That helps me write better headlines.
* I don't bring my bad moods to work and inflict them on others.
* I don't waste time on grammar and style, which I consider as basic as brushing my teeth -- I just do it. I don't talk about it.
* I focus on how to really improve stories. I edit aggressively.
* Reporters and editors know I ask smart questions and improve their stories, and I'm always friendly and low-key, so I get what I need.
* When I spot a problem, I try to think up a possible solution before I approach a reporter or editor.
* When I make a great catch, I don't lord it over someone. I just let people know I'm glad to help.
* I respect other people's work and I treat it as I'd want my copy to be treated.
* I don't expect to win every argument. I just make sure I make my point.
* When I disagree with someone about work, I make sure it's about the work and nothing else.
* I have to come back and work with the same people tomorrow, so I try hard not to leave bad impressions or let disagreements spiral. But I don't let people roll over me, because I can't do my job if I don't keep others' respect.
* When I screw up someone's story, I apologize. Even if reporters wouldn't otherwise know, I apologize. I let them know I don't take mistakes lightly, and they've always been gracious.
* When I screw up, I don't dwell on it. I learn whatever I can and move on.
* I edit more than my share of copy.
* I rarely gripe. If something sucks, I fix it; try to get others to help fix it; learn to deal with it; or switch jobs if it's insurmountable.
* When I apply for jobs, I apply for at least two. It drives up my pay when they compete for me.
* Because I do good work and am low maintenance, all my former bosses would hire me again. When people do reference checks and hear that, any job I want is a lock.
* Because I do good work and am low maintenance, I've been recruited for jobs. Even when I don't want the job, I make sure my boss knows I'm in demand.
* When recruited, I ask for the moon.
* I never count on a union to decide how much I'm worth. I know really good copy editors are hard to find, and I negotiate accordingly.

Last edited by copynomad on Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:26 am 

paulwiggins wrote:
Arranging a special screening of His Girl Friday will get them comfortably away from reality.

The Front Page is my all-time favorite play.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]