Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is it just me ..
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:46 pm 

... or are newspapers losing copy editors faster than they can lay them off?

Quote:
We need an award-winning copy editor* to supervise our national/foreign
copy desk. The ideal candidate is a wordsmith with expertise editing
national and international news. You must be skilled at slotting and
working with rimmers to improve their editing and headline writing.
Minimum of three years experience in copy desk management at a daily
newspaper required. The Mercury News, one of the nation's biggest and
best newspapers, offers competitive salary and benefits. San Jose,
with great weather and proximity to the San Francisco Bay, is one of
the nicest places to live in the world. Interested? Send a resume,
references and clips to Glenn Rabinowitz, Chief of Copy Desks,
San Jose Mercury News, 750 Ridder Park Drive, San Jose, CA 95190
or by email to grabinowitz@....

ACES jobs

*Hmm. The only award-winning copy editor I can think of is our own dmfugitive. (Headline awards don't count of course because they tend to be more like, um, a badge of shame.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:39 pm 

In years past, that would have been a mighty attractive opportunity. If I were looking for a job -- and I'm not -- it would take a considerable signing bonus to get me to San Jose. And I'm not even "award-winning," unless you count the Hearst headline contest in the 1980s.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:02 pm 

It's the Law of Unintended Consequences at work: When you get a newsroom freaked out over layoffs, a lot of people who won't be targeted for layoffs are going to look for other opportunities — and take them even after they learn they've survived the layoffs because a) they're now in a "new job" frame of mind; and b) who wants to stay in a morale-shattered workplace?

It happened a few months ago in my newsroom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:41 am 

This is a great opportunity for somebody who's single, ambitious and good at the work. Cost of living is high, but no big deal if you're planning to move on in a few years anyway.

If you're thinking of buying a home you'd better have 200k in equity lying around if you want a mortgage of less than 2k a month. And that gets you a starter condo. There are no regular ol' tract houses in subdivisions for less than 600k, last time I looked. (Actually, dual-income households can still afford basic housing in this market, but it's a longshot for a single person).

Merc's troubles are no worse than anybody's would be if a 200 million dollar business (classified ads) disappeared practically overnight. We're actually getting a broader swath of Bay Area news in the paper since Singleton took over.

Used to be we had time to grouse over our terrible morale. Now we're too busy. Frankly, it's better this way.

For my money the Bay Area is the best place to live in the United States. I can't afford a house and I don't care. I want to stay anyway. The only real negative is the traffic, but copy editors don't work 9-to-5 so it's mostly a non-issue.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]