Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: ofc politics
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:11 pm 

I hate to be a rat fink, but our newest copy editor was talking very loudly and at length on the phone to someone about something that sounded a lot like he was looking for a new job. Of course I was the only one in the department at the time.

The guys a pretty good Columbia grad who we paid a fair amount to interview and get settled here. The paper's budget is real tight, and we're already running one short, soon to be two short, on our copy desk.

Do I tip off my boss or do I keep my head down and stay out of other people's business?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:20 pm 

You already know the answer.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:30 pm 

My first inclination was to let the boss know, then I decided to cool my heels and see what other copyeds would do. I personally have a pretty big problem with short-timers bc they're such a waste of companies' money and colleagues' time. I put one up in my place at my last job, and he ended up spending three months getting settled and three months getting out. Not that I blame him, but still.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:33 pm 

You're probably irritated by those slackers who abuse the office's sick-day policy too, huh.

Or what about those friggin' smokers? Always sneaking off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:00 am 

What do you hope to accomplish? Whether he leaves or not, your company has already spent the money. And if you misjudged the conversation, you'd be screwing him over for no reason by telling. Bad judgment on his part for having a conversation like that at work, whether it was what you interpreted or not. He's giving a bad impression, apparently. But if one of my employees came to me and spilled on someone, I would look poorly on the person who spilled.

One of my employees confided that (s)he is looking elsewhere. I've said nothing to my bosses. (S)he's a good employee who I'm hoping will have a change of heart. If I tell, that pretty much ruins his/her future here. What do I have to gain? Any smart manager should always have one or two people in the pipeline anyway, because you never know who's going to leave.

Post subject: Re: ofc politics
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:46 pm 

Heartodixie wrote:
I hate to be a rat fink, but our newest copy editor was talking very loudly and at length on the phone to someone about something that sounded a lot like he was looking for a new job. Of course I was the only one in the department at the time.

The guys a pretty good Columbia grad who we paid a fair amount to interview and get settled here. The paper's budget is real tight, and we're already running one short, soon to be two short, on our copy desk.

Do I tip off my boss or do I keep my head down and stay out of other people's business?

Don't inform. Some day you might be in the same situation.

By the way, I've had a couple of experiences where co-workers (not my immediate family of rimmers but busybodies working nearby in other departments) ratted on me at my current job.

Both incidents involved a downright comical misinterpretation of overheard remarks. I got a talking-to from supervisors in both cases, and both times my bosses said they were embarrassed to have to even act on the supposed infractions.

It seems to be worse at this place. In fact, it's caused me to conclude that this paper has a Byzantine (apology to any Greek readers) backstabbing office culture. It's beyond creepy.

Not that I'm such a wonderful human being, but I don't think that I have ever once lodged an official complaint against any co-worker, even those who are habitually hostile, incompetent or lazy, let alone those who simply annoy me, in my entire career. I just grumble and whine about the general state of things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:26 am 

Here's some free advice from an old guy:

The whole world hates a rat.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:23 am 

I don't understand what's so difficult about minding your own business.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:14 pm 

Really good points, all. Thank you.

It never really occurred to me to think about it from an employer's perspective until I applied for my current job. The bosses acted incredulous when I admitted that I hadn't told my superiors that I was using my vacation to interview for a new job. And of course there was that one particularly obnoxious short-timer that took advantage of his company and colleagues.

But, yeah, if Mr. Young Hotshot is looking for a new job, I'm several rungs in the food chain below having it be my business. And I do remember how long six months felt when I was 23, so I can't blame him for keeping one eye on the job boards.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]