Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Just when you think you've seen it all ...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 7:11 pm 

To change one's life, start immediately, do it flamboyantly, no
exceptions.''
-- William James, American philosopher<p>Okay, to start, find your best Hawaiian shirt and put it on. Rub some suntan lotion on your face. Breathe in the aroma. Now crank up some music--any music--on your MP3 player. Oh yeah, you're oh so loving life now. Close your eyes. Yeah, right now, just do it. And picture yourself headed for a cool new life-altering job in ...
Well, that's your call, really.
But here's a suggestion: St. Petersburg, Florida. (Okay now, stop with the oldster jokes and just keep reading.)
If you're a great copy editor who's got some exceptional design skills, why St. Petersburg?
Well, we're different. (ACES Jobs) <p>***That you are. Now shut up.***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Just when you think you've seen it all ...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 7:36 pm 

Their job listings always have been a little ... unusual is the best word I can think of, although I don't think that does them justice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:54 am 

I think you should take this opportunity to use your creative cynicism and write ads describing your jobs at your papers. Be sure to include the line about all the great outdoor activities you'll be able to do in your free time amid the terrific scenery that abounds. That's always my favorite part.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:10 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Emily Salmon:
I think you should take this opportunity to use your creative cynicism and write ads describing your jobs at your papers. Be sure to include the line about all the great outdoor activities you'll be able to do in your free time amid the terrific scenery that abounds. That's always my favorite part.<hr></blockquote><p>Too easy.<p>[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:15 am 

I told you, I'm unemployed! I can't find a copy-editing internship. Or a full-time job.
Dow Jones News Foundation is agist and other -ists.
If I ever win the lottery, I'm starting a foundation for adult interns.
There are already plenty of dolt interns.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:56 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Emily Salmon:
I think you should take this opportunity to use your creative cynicism and write ads describing your jobs at your papers. Be sure to include the line about all the great outdoor activities you'll be able to do in your free time amid the terrific scenery that abounds. That's always my favorite part.<hr></blockquote><p>Hmmm....we've got a big chemical plant here and dioxin in the soil.<p>And if I remember correctly, St. Petersburg's paper is owned by Poynter. So there you go.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:24 pm 

Yes, they are owned by Poynter. That's actually mentioned as a plus later in the ad.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:36 pm 

Naive Question No. 1 of the day:
What's "different," shall I say, about working for Poynter?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:28 pm 

Naive Question No. 1 of the day:
What's "different," shall I say, about working for Poynter?
<hr></blockquote><p>Think about all the goofy Poynter advice you've read on this forum. Now imagine a newspaper that actually follows those "principles." I, for one, imagine a real "Alice in Wonderland" experience.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:45 pm 
I wonder if St. Petersburg Times employees have New Age-y Tibetian nose-flute music piped into their ergonomically-correct, Feng-Shui-designed, gender-neutral, journalistically-neutered work environment ....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:22 pm 

Jim:<p>I have moderately reliable reports that St. Pete is a sweatshop. Leave your nose flute home.<p>I should qualify this by saying I've heard they pay well. But be prepared to carry your ass home in two hands when you leave at night. Also, job security isn't great.<p>In other words, except for the decent pay, it's like every non-union paper in the country. And, other than job security, a lot of the union papers.<p>Hope that helps.<p>[ January 16, 2003: Message edited by: Bumfketeer ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:33 pm 

Just read that ad again. <p>I agree with Blanp. Shut up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:18 pm 

The Times does a decent-enough job, even though they are WAY too impressed with themselves, as that ad shows. (I was an AME at their competition to the north a few years ago – we always used their snooty attitude to our advantage).

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]