Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Copy chief or AME?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:49 pm 

I know that under normal circumstances you'd apply to the AME, but I had a brief encounter recently with the desk chief of a newspaper where I'd like to work. We only exchanged pleasantries, but I'm sure he'd recognize my name on an application.

So, do I send two applications, one to the AME and one to the chief, or do I pick one? If the latter, which individual?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:54 pm 

I'd recommend sending it straight to the desk chief with a cover letter reminding him of your meeting. He can shepherd it to the proper authorities.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: and...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:06 am 

Thanks, I can usually count on this forum for a quick response. If it were you, would you lead with the encounter or mention it toward the end. Man, I hate writing these things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:04 am 

What I've done in similar circumstances:

Dear (whatever the copy chief's name is),

It was great talking to you (yadda yadda yadda, the rest of your letter or e-mail). ...

Then CC the AME, whether you send by hard copy or e-mail. That lets them both know you're applying, so nobody duplicates efforts or thinks you're doing an end run (though it would be touchy to think that).

Good luck with your job hunt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:49 am 

Lead with the conversation on the cover letter to the desk chief.

I'd write a straight cover letter for the higher-up.

Good luck. If you were talking to me, better remind me soon.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:58 pm 

I'll agree with Bumf -- the desk chief already has a good (we assume) impression, so send the resume there, then let the desk chief go to the AME and say "I'd like to bring this person in for an interview."

Plus, if you get the AME involved at this point, you run the risk of having the desk chief think you're perhaps too interested in the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:02 pm 

Sounds as if you're assuming that candidates will be dismissed or taken advantage of if they're "too interested." Of course you don't want to seem desperate. But if I have two candidates of relatively equal skill, I will hire the one who is more enthused about joining our paper. I will pay more for that person.

In one case, I lobbied to pay a woman $10,000 more than we would have otherwise, because I knew she was a good editor, her enthusiasm would fire up co-workers, and she would be more likely to stay long term, compared with other qualified candidates who would have done the job just fine. She got the $10,000. She didn't ask for it. She seemed dumfounded when she got the offer. She's worth the money.

Hiring editors have to think long term. Having to replace people is costly, and it hurts the paper's quality when you've got vacancies. You want good people who will stick. ... If a hiring editor is too shortsighted to know that, you should really consider whether you want to work there, because that kind of shortsightedness shows up throughout the newsroom long term.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]