Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Advice
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:53 am 

Columnist Rick Reilly gave some graduates good simple advice the other day: Don't write for free.

Some guy at NBC Sports tried to offer a counter-argument:
Quote:
No, you don’t work for free forever because, hey, ya gotta eat. But most people do have to either take unpaid internships or blog and otherwise hustle to make it in the media these days. Advice that says “NEVER DO THAT!” is useless, because most of those graduates will be asked to do it. They key is to know what unpaid writing gigs could lead to the development of one’s career and, ultimately, into paying jobs and what unpaid writing gigs are essentially slave labor offered by a company simply looking to get something for free.

I don't know if that guy gets paid to write, but I'm guessing there's no one getting paid to edit him. I don't think Reilly has any reason to fear for his livelihood here.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Advice
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:18 pm 

Unless his boss finds someone to do his job for nothing. I miss the Jurassic era, when the Newspaper Fund, at least, policed the participating newspapers to make sure the interns were getting paid, even if it was entry-level pay, and that the papers didn't try to chisel the interns by taking a setoff against the Fund's stipend.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]