Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Only lotto winners need apply
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:05 am 

Unpaid internships may be all de rigueur in the newspaper biz these days, but this JournalismJobs.com ad takes the cake.

To sum up: Something called the Molokai Dispatch wants an unpaid reporter for six months(!) in the most expensive state in the Union. You do get a "furnished room," a $40-a-week "stipend" and "shared transportation (car, bike, moped)." I wonder who determines who gets the car, and who gets the bike. And don't go on any spending sprees with that $40; you'll need it for the round-trip airfare, which the successful applicant is expected to pay him- or herself.

I really wish I could be there to see what kind of applicants this newspaper comes up with.

Post subject: Re: Only lotto winners need apply
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:09 am 

That kind of thing's not unheard of. Looking for well-bankrolled students who want to take a holiday that counts as an internship. And it will look like an internship on their resumes and give them a leg up on their poor peers who have to work for money when they're first starting out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:54 pm 

Heart, I'd be inclined to acknowledge your point if not for the fact that this paper isn't even looking for a student. It wants a college graduate! These guys want somebody who's presumably qualified for a real job to work full time for next to nothing for six months. Some vacation!

I see a Catch-22 here: If you're well-off enough to take this gig, why would you?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:51 am 

Rio wrote:
Heart, I'd be inclined to acknowledge your point if not for the fact that this paper isn't even looking for a student. It wants a college graduate! These guys want somebody who's presumably qualified for a real job to work full time for next to nothing for six months. Some vacation!

I see a Catch-22 here: If you're well-off enough to take this gig, why would you?

Good point, didn't notice the graduate part. Still, I've seen a few wealthy newsroom dilettantes in my day. I imagine there are some "reporters" who'd like the vacation or are so desperate for experience that the gig would be worth it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]