Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: New World Order
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:48 am 

The Southeast Missourian is looking for a full-time copy editor. The job includes editing copy, laying out pages and helping post stories to the web. Candidate must have a strong grasp of grammar and AP style. Experience with InDesign is preferred. The copy editor will work the evening shift and earn $12.40 an hour plus benefits. Please send a cover letter explaining your approach to editing along with a resume to news editor Spencer Cramer at scramer@semissourian.com. (JournalismJobs)

*** The Southeast Missourian will probably get hundreds of applications from people who can only hope that "benefits" include food. ***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New World Order
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:43 am 

I like the quasi-reptilian sound of semi-ssaurian.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:05 pm 

The "benefits" are: You have a job. Be grateful, dammit!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:32 pm 

One notes that having a "friend with benefits" means you get screwed on a regular basis. I expect this is somewhat analogous.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:46 am 

$12.40 would have been exciting to me in 2003 ... sadly, I make marginally more than that after a $40K stint. Frankly, having worked for 7-Eleven this summer at minimum wage, it's not awful.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:51 pm 

I guess this is a rhetorical question, but don't small papers realize how off-the-charts low their wages are? I started an $11-an-hour reporting job (after years of making an OK salary writing and editing for trade pubs) in freaking California not all that long ago. My last employer, in Nowhere, Alabama, acted like it was doing me a favor by putting me on a $38K salary the year after I made a lifetime high of $41K (with overtime) as an hourly copy editor.

Most recently, I've been bumping around the manual labor sector, getting $7 - $12 an hour for unskilled mostly construction temp work and $11 - $18 an hour for "permanent" unskilled factory work.

If the yahoos in the newspaper biz expect recruits to come with a college degree and internship experience, they really have to start paying a professional wage. Lots of Mexican drywall-hangers and American chicken-slashers are making well above $12.40 an hour.

(Pointlessly stating the obvious, as always.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:07 pm 

They pay crap because people keep filling jobs. There's an infinite supply of people willing to work cheap with hope of advancement. Many will leave in disgust, but there's more where they came from.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:29 pm 

Sadly, this is so.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]