Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Added staff!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:38 pm 

The Index-Journal in Greenwood, S.C., is looking for a talented and energetic page designer/copy editor to join its newly formed universal desk. Unlike many papers shedding staff, this is an ADDED position to our newsroom. We firmly believe a three-person desk staff is the best way for us to produce an award-winning daily newspaper (url=http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1138799]JournalismJobs.com[/url]

*** Maybe so, but it probably won't be any good. ***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Added staff!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:00 pm 

The Index-Journal appears to have a circulation of about 15,000. For a 15,000-circulation paper, a three-person desk is not bad -- unless of course they're doing ALL of the editing and page design for the entire paper, but if they're anything like us, their people who are devoted full time to copy editing and page design are probably joined by other editors who spend at least part of their time on those functions.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:25 pm 

I don't care if the circulation is 1,500. Three people can't do a credible job, especially since those three probably get days off.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:33 pm 

Sorry for "LMAO," but I can't help it. I love the ultra-sanctimonious tone of "we firmly believe" that a three-person desk staff is the right way to go. Universal desk? I guess that must be one of those universes I've heard about that can fit inside a pinky thimble.

My other take is that they can actually fill a position because they are paying slightly over minimum wage.

And doesn't pretty much every paper (or journalist) in the world qualify as "award winning?"

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]