Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Do It All!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:46 pm 

Family-owned, Southwestern Colorado newspaper group seeks an energetic news leader to continue the strong emphasis on community coverage at one of our weekly publications. We seek someone with a college degree, newsroom experience, strong grammar, punctuation and style skills, page-design experience and familiarity with InDesign, minimal need for supervision and editing, and dedication to producing an interesting, relevant community paper. A love for small-town life is essential.

The Star is a one-person newsroom and an important influence in the community.
(JournalismJobs.com)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Do It All!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:12 pm 

It's staggering to think of the influence a one-person newsroom can have on the community. That kind of influence can probably enable you to get your wife a gig at the local opera house, too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:41 am 

I'm not clear on how you can be a leader in a one-person newsroom. If you shout out an order, you'll just have to follow it yourself. Or fire yourself for insubordination, maybe.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:53 am 

But you're always Newsroom Employee of the Month!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:54 pm 

Think about all the bureaucratic bullshit you have to deal with for a minute. Snooping around by yourself and slapping together the headlines each week doesn't sound like all that bad a gig.

(I did something like that once. Oh, the good work I could have done had I not been so focused on getting out of there and onto a "real" newspaper.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:26 pm 

Heartodixie wrote:
Think about all the bureaucratic bullshit you have to deal with for a minute. Snooping around by yourself and slapping together the headlines each week doesn't sound like all that bad a gig.

OK, I'll take that minute...

(5 seconds pass...)

Couldn't make it to 60 seconds. When I think back on the years spent in one-person newsrooms, I shudder. My colleagues since then have not always been the best in the business, but I have had many occasions to thank them personally for catching my errors. Everyone, and I mean everyone, needs a copy editor.

Agreed, I don't long for the bureaucratic bullshit that goes along with chain ownership, or even just the heirarchy within a single paper, but I would not trade it for a solo gig again.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:00 pm 

gdcfa wrote:
Heartodixie wrote:

OK, I'll take that minute...

(5 seconds pass...)

Couldn't make it to 60 seconds. When I think back on the years spent in one-person newsrooms, I shudder. My colleagues since then have not always been the best in the business, but I have had many occasions to thank them personally for catching my errors. Everyone, and I mean everyone, needs a copy editor.

Agreed, I don't long for the bureaucratic bullshit that goes along with chain ownership, or even just the heirarchy within a single paper, but I would not trade it for a solo gig again.

It is terrifying working without a safety net, but seems to me there never was much of one even at the biggest small papers I worked at. Redundancy's so 20th century.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:32 pm 

Hearto, I work at a midsize paper (100,000) and we have no "safety net" now. One read. That's the wave of the future for sure, and the reality of the present at a lot of places.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]