Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: 'Confidential'
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:48 am 

A Midwestern metro daily with a long tradition of leadership and excellence on the editorial page, and located in a region beset by challenge and change, is seeking an editorial page director due to a retirement. Please send resume and work samples to: editorialdirectorjobpost@gmail.com. (Poynter Careers)

*** Sorry, but we don't apply for jobs unless we know who's offering them. ***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 'Confidential'
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:49 am 

You could reply without including your name and contact info. That would show your understanding of how the paper's managers think, and you wouldn't have to worry about them getting back to you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:44 pm 

Phillip Blanchard wrote:
A Midwestern metro daily with a long tradition of leadership and excellence on the editorial page, and located in a region beset by challenge and change, is seeking an editorial page director due to a retirement. Please send resume and work samples to: editorialdirectorjobpost@gmail.com. (Poynter Careers)

*** Sorry, but we don't apply for jobs unless we know who's offering them. ***

They'd rather you not know who they retired.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:41 am 

Since he may not know yet either.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:55 pm 

Wayne Countryman wrote:
You could reply without including your name and contact info. That would show your understanding of how the paper's managers think, and you wouldn't have to worry about them getting back to you.

Seriously, I been reading up on what the HR "pros" say about confidential job searches and one author recommends that candidates trying to keep their job search quiet do just that and include only a contact number on their resumes.

I myself can't think of any circumstance in which "confidential" job or candidate search would be a good idea. Mebe that's why I've been having such a hard time finding a job. ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:31 am 

I seem to remember seeing a lot of ads like this back in the '70s.

Back then you'd also sometimes see want ads that required sending a photo of yourself. This seemed prevalent then at small papers in the South, which I can only assume did it to weed out minorities (or, possibly, in a clumsy effort to recruit minorities, which at that time I seriously doubt was the case).

Or then again, maybe it was a way to make sure the applicant wasn't over 50.

Or maybe they were just looking for someone cute. Or all of the above.

I am guessing that the feds finally told E&P to stop accepting ads like that, or the bosses there finally acquired the sense to reject them.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]