Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: At least they're upfront about it.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:52 pm 

From journalismjobs.com:

Quote:
Online editor - copy writer needed Salary: $850 to $1,000 per month full time

Publishing firm is looking for a US/Western expat living in a low cost of living country to work full or part time, writing, rewriting and editing travel content.

Post subject: Re: At least they're upfront about it.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:18 pm 

This ad is beyond bizarre. What would a "US/Western expat" be doing in "a low cost of living country" without a job to begin with? And how could said expat stay in the country without a visa, which he or she couldn't get without a job there?

And how is one supposed to afford a home broadband connection when you're making only $1,000 a month?

I'd love to see the articles and blogs that are produced by those who are hired as a result of this ad.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:54 am 

Rio wrote:
This ad is beyond bizarre. What would a "US/Western expat" be doing in "a low cost of living country" without a job to begin with? And how could said expat stay in the country without a visa, which he or she couldn't get without a job there?

And how is one supposed to afford a home broadband connection when you're making only $1,000 a month?

Maybe someone married to an expat with a real job.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:16 pm 

Fair point, but from the small number of expats who fit that description and are qualified to do the work, you still have to persuade someone to do it for $12,000 a year. Lotsa luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:17 am 

I don't think any company that offers that kind of money is expecting quality.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:09 pm 

They're clearly hoping for someone in a country where US$12K is equivalent to about $30K in local buying power. As a second household income that wouldn't be shabby. Much would depend, of course, on how onerous the actual work would be. (A friend of mine who had a state job once said, "They don't pay very much, but they don't expect you to work very hard.")

As for broadband ... some countries, particularly in East Asia, are way ahead of us in retail broadband delivery, and the same may be true of price.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:13 pm 

Editer wrote:
As for broadband ... some countries, particularly in East Asia, are way ahead of us in retail broadband delivery, and the same may be true of price.

I understand that is true. However, in the GCC countries, especially the UAE, Internet service is unreliable, expensive and often hard to obtain.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:19 am 

I would consider that salary pitiful for someone who's capable of actually editing in English (and presumably doing similar jobs, such as teaching English), even in a country with a low cost of living. Maybe someone trapped at home or without a work permit (because sometimes you can get a visa with a working spouse, but not a work permit). If a Westerner can work legitimately, he/she should be able to do better, even freelancing part time, rather than working full time for $1,000 USD. I wouldn't compare against the cost of living wherever you are; I would compare against how much you could make on the open market, which includes telecommuting to other jobs.

Maybe they'll get someone with singular circumstances, but I would expect anyone reasonably talented to be able to do better, even if using this job as a stepping stone in the short term.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]