Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Planning ahead
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:38 am 

This came across the UNM Journalism Department's list serv:

Quote:
Communication Currents, an online practical newsletter that takes academic articles and translates them for the world outside the academy, is looking for an editor, beginning 2013. This is quite a ways off, but they are expecting it may be hard to find someone. If you are at all interested, please check out Comm Currents and feel free to contact Joann, the current editor. I have been a member of the advisory board, so might be able to answer some questions as well.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Planning ahead
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:15 pm 

I was going to say something snarky, but why discourage institutions of any kind from thinking more than a financial quarter ahead?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:26 am 

Not that planning is a bad idea, but what kind of job takes that long to fill? We elect presidents in that time. Makes me wonder how bad the job might be; how overrated the job might be among those doing the hiring; how little it might pay.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:55 pm 

I'd be interested and maybe by 2013 I can talk my husband into moving to New Mexico. A decent salary and a side benefit of fresh Hatch chiles would help.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:08 am 

copynomad wrote:
Not that planning is a bad idea, but what kind of job takes that long to fill? We elect presidents in that time.

<snark>And look how well that usually works out.</snark>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:24 pm 

I'm guessing the current editor plans to retire in 2013 and they decided to get a jump on things.

Not a bad idea, really, especially for a specialized position ... they're still in the position of hoping that the right person will be available at the right time, but "the right time" has just expanded to a much larger window than your average candidate search.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:52 pm 

They may end up, though, conducting a painstaking national search for the biggest asshole possible.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:19 am 

Phillip Blanchard wrote:
They may end up, though, conducting a painstaking national search for the biggest asshole possible.

Hence the lead time. (Or was that your point?)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:01 am 

egable wrote:
I'm guessing the current editor plans to retire in 2013 and they decided to get a jump on things.

Not a bad idea, really, especially for a specialized position ... they're still in the position of hoping that the right person will be available at the right time, but "the right time" has just expanded to a much larger window than your average candidate search.

Retirement would be my guess, too. But it's goofy to consider a four-year hiring period.

So you interview people over three years maybe? "Thanks for coming. We'll let you know in three years." Maybe: "The job is yours. See you in three years." Lots can happen in three or four years. Who's going to commit to a job that far down the line? If someone commits, what are that chances that his life circumstances will change? (Gets married or divorced, has a kid, gets sick, changes careers, gets a job he really likes in the interim, changes his mind, whatever.) How would you negotiate salary (and maybe moving expenses) for a job years from now? Say you lock in your salary now and inflation shoots up. Oh oh. Or maybe your funding is slashed because of budget cuts. Oops.

Sounds like someone wants to drag out hiring. Maybe there are expensed lunches involved, lol.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]