Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: journalismcrossing.com
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:15 pm 

Does anyone know anything about this site?

I was surfing job sites and a job listing came up with a link to this site. When I clicked to look at the job description, it came up but the window greyed out and I got a pop-up saying "Trust the World's Top Journalism Job-Opening Research Institution with Your Job Search."

Followed by some sales bullet points, then a box for my e-mail with the line "Tell us where to send your access instructions." I think there was something in an earlier window about a seven-day free trial.

While I saw a lot of bloviation about the number of job listings, I didn't see anything about placement rates. The journalism site seems to be part of something called Employment Crossings.

I will poke around to see if I can see more on their web sites, but in the meantime, does anyone have information about this outfit? It sounds like they're like any other bot that goes out and collects listings, except they charge for people to see them.

Post subject: Re: journalismcrossing.com
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:21 pm 

Sorry, here's the link.

There's a photo of sheep in New Zealand on the page, along with a claim that the site has more journalism job postings than anywhere else (just as New Zealand has more sheep than anywhere else, the promo says).

Can someone confirm the sheep population stat?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:24 am 

I'll answer the important question first. New Zealand has the most sheep per human inhabitant, but Australia has more than twice as many sheep total, according to Population and Sustainable Development, a program of the New Zealand government.

As for the employment site, I'm skeptical, and I'll bet you will be, too, after you check these out:

These were the first six fields I tried; you might try others and see what you get.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:47 am 

I'd be skeptical of any site that claimed there is an opening for a copy editor anywhere on Earth right now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:55 pm 

If you've never heard of a company that bills itself as the "world's top" employment research institution, I'd say odds are pretty good it's not legit.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]