Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cut from five days a week to four ...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:48 pm 

I work for a weekly, and admittedly we've shrunk in the past couple of years -- but I don't know how I'll get everything done in 32 hours a week, especially if the writers keep missing their deadlines they way they usually do. And it's not my fault if the layout folks don't get stuff done in time, either, so I'm twiddling my thumbs in the middle of the day.

Any tips for explaining to my editor that there's no point in me traveling an hour each way to sit around for four hours on Wednesdays, when I could work a full day on Thursday and actually have stuff to do? He seems to think copyeditors are like paramedics and need to be available and in the building at all times.

I'm in CA if anyone has any input on employment law (do I get overtime after eight hours' work a day? etc.). At least I still have health benefits.

Would love to rant, but am feeling deeply dispirited right now, especially with an unemployed spouse (seven months and counting).

Post subject: Re: Cut from five days a week to four ...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:38 pm 

What? A dispirited copy editor? Hard to find these days.

Seriously, I don't know what to say to you. If it were a couple short years ago, I would tell you to look for a job. Now, I don't know what to say.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:28 am 

Possibility: Might help convince your editor if you can show your workflow. That's easy to do on some computer systems -- just punch out the times, stories and such on an audit. If that doesn't work on your system, you'll have to do it manually. But if you do it manually, make sure your editor doesn't think you have tons of free time to track that kind of thing, or else he might think you're underworked. ... Some people need visuals or numbers to be convinced. For instance, he might respond better to hearing that you do X percent of your editing in a four-hour window, even though you work an eight-hour day on your slow day. Stress that you're less likely to make mistakes if the work isn't crammed into a few hours.

I'd also pitch the idea of trying out your suggestion for a couple of weeks or so. That gives you the chance to show that it'll work, without him feeling locked in. If it doesn't work, you can revert. He might say yes to a trial just to appease you, and then find out you were right.

I'd try to pitch several possibilities at the same time, because it gives the person a choice and makes it more likely you'll get some, if not the whole.

If you can enlist co-workers to back up your suggestions, it might help convince your editor that they're for the good of your paper, rather than just for your personal benefit.

If you're pursuing the overtime thing, I'd pick one battle at a time, whichever is more important to you. If he ends up pissed about the overtime, it's more likely he'll say no to changing your schedule.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:30 pm 

Chiming in a bit late here after a nasty bout of flu. Thanks for the advice, copynomad -- I already fill out a copy flow sheet for my editor and the higher-ups, so they're all well aware of when the work is happening. There are fewer articles in the paper, so that's the justification for cutting my hours.

I'm "allowed" to take Wednesdays off for now; this is only the second week of the new schedule, but I'm already finding it brutal to fit everything into four days. At least I can recover a little in the middle of the week. Time to buff up the resume, though.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]