Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Am I just being too suspicious?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:58 pm 

I just spotted this ad: "Best-selling author and journalist seeks highly intelligent individual with outstanding credentials to lead established media company." It goes on with the usual sort of things you'd expect from a job ad. Wraps up with "Submit resume and cover letter in strict confidence to:" such and such an e-mail address at gmail dot com.

A more detailed bit of research shows the job's been online since mid-October and was just reposted a day or two ago. Am I seriously to believe that in this economy -- especially the journalistically flavored economy -- there aren't plenty of sharp people looking for work?

Basically: What's the gimmick?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Am I just being too suspicious?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:26 pm 

My first thought was that, "established media company" notwithstanding, it doesn't pay nearly enough for whatever the work is, so they can't get anyone they like to agree to do it. But that's just a guess. Any other clues in the ad?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:50 am 

It could be that the "best selling author and journalist" has an ego the size of Alaska and is looking for someone who has a suitably high recognition of that. IMHO, when you put that in the ad, it tells me it's all about you and not about the job or the hiree.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:11 pm 

The "best selling author" with an "established media company" might be someone publishing with an inkjet printer on his kitchen table. Or someone with a months-old blog.

Clue: Failed to claim "prize-winning" status.

Maybe I'm being too suspicious. For all I know, it might be the next (or a past) Pulitzer winner.

EDIT: Yet again I've managed to post after someone and have it appear before his post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:21 pm 

Dunno, I saw "best selling author" and "established media company" and immediately thought of the Huffington Post. I don't know what the pay and working conditions are like there, but it's considerably more than a vanity project at this point.

Which makes me think it's not the Huffington Post placing the ad. But I can't think of any other jobs that would fit the ad. So I'm puzzled. No big deal, though, since I don't want the job.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]