Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: How would a British copy editor get work in the USA?
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:18 pm 

Hi, I'm a first timer to this board and I really hope someone out there can help me.
I'm a copy editor at one of Scotland's biggest daily newspapers (circulation 60,000) and I really need a new challenge.
How easy is it for a Brit to pick up work on the copy desk of a US newspaper?
I have ten years' experience writing, copy editing, designing pages, writing headlines etc but don't know how that will translate across the pond.
Where should I set my sights? Should I go for a "small town" paper (no offence intended - I'd happily work anywhere) or could I go for large metro publications?
How common is it in your business for Brits to work on copydesks?
How realistic am I being in wanting to get a job in the USA? Or am I just letting myself in for lots of rejection?
My girlfriend is also a trained copy editor, so hopefully jobs will be plentiful.
And let's not even get started on the visa situation!
I hope someone out there can answer my questions and perhaps give me an overview of foreign staff opportunities on copydesks.
We've just finished a marathon shift covering our General Election and I figure there MUST be something better out there for us.
Please help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:05 pm 

The visa situation, as you mention, will probably be your first major hurdle. I believe you can't get a work visa unless you've already lined up a U.S. employer who will vouch for you (and, incidentally, will have to demonstrate that no American can do the same job you're being hired for). Immigration information here. I wouldn't think a major newspaper or magazine would hire a noncitizen under the table, but you never know.

I've never run across a Brit on a copy desk, but I'm sure there are some.

It might be a good idea to look at small papers, but be aware that smaller papers (a) tend to pay subsistence wages; (b) are often far away from bigger cities and their amenities; and (c) quite often require copy editors to do page layout, often giving that part of the job precedence over the word editing. But if you can live with those conditions for a year or two, it's not a bad way into the business.

Here are some places to check for jobs:
Journalism Jobs
Copyeditor.com job board
American Copy Editors Society job bank
Editor & Publisher classifieds
Or, if you've got an area in mind, check the list of newspapers
here.

Good luck!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:06 pm 

I work with a Welsh designer, fondly referred to as the Welshman 'round here, who sat on his rump for about eight months before he could find a job. Only then could he get a visa. I've found, though, that his British-style editing is quite a bit different from American editing. That will be another major hurdle -- learning the new rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:47 am 

You might also check papers north of "the line." Canadian English is more similar to British English and Brits are far from unheard of on copy desks here. As a bonus, Lord Black of Cross Harbour is disgraced.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:26 pm 

Can I turn the tables on this question? What would it take for an American copy editor to get work in Britain?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:42 pm 

TheWalrus wrote:
I work with a Welsh designer, fondly referred to as the Welshman 'round here, who sat on his rump for about eight months before he could find a job. Only then could he get a visa. I've found, though, that his British-style editing is quite a bit different from American editing. That will be another major hurdle -- learning the new rules.

It just occurred to me, well after my original post, that I have worked with an Irishman on a copy desk here. That was some time back, though, and I don't know what his visa situation was.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How would a British copy editor get work in the USA?
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:59 pm 

Brits wrote:
We've just finished a marathon shift covering our General Election and I figure there MUST be something better out there for us.

I have to wonder what it was about a "marathon shift" covering a national election that made you want to leave the country.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How would a British copy editor get work in the USA?
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:53 pm 

Location: A compromise between Man's Euclidean determinations and Nature's beguiling irregularities.
Brits wrote:

We tend to pull marathon shifts a lot on this side of the Pond, as well.

Well, some people do. I haven't had to in a couple of years: I work on a business desk, and we don't get sucked into such things very often. Colleagues on the news side of the room have chaotic days a little more often.

(Now that I've said that, of course, tomorrow will be sheer hell.)

If you do want to move stateside, I'd suggest looking at smaller papers, as well. But be warned -- I know plenty of copy editors at small dailies who come in mornings to design and edit features pages (or even ads) for early press runs, leave for lunch and a nap, and then return in the evening to produce news pages. And often, they aren't paid overtime, thanks to lax enforcement of labor laws.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I'm a Brit working at an American copy desk! It can be done.
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:08 pm 

My husband is American, so I didn't have to worry about the work permit/visa thing. (Are you sure you and your girlfriend can't bribe a couple of willing Americans to get married to for a while?!)

It sounds as though you have tons of experience, although you might want to consider taking a class or a course over here (you can take these online while you're still in Britain -- look at Editcetera.com and UC Berkeley Extension, which is where I got my certificate in editing). It'll definitely help you in the transition between British and American English, and will show potential employers that you're serious about the job as well as being willing to learn more. I got the job at my paper through one of the instructors on my course, who used to be the managing editor here. So networking definitely helps.

I do still occasionally feel as if I'm editing in a different language, and you'll have to immerse yourself in cultural references (for instance, Mayberry was a mystery to me, and don't even get me started on state capitols!). On the other hand, because you're new to to the country, you'll be constantly looking things up and thus might be more thorough than a native copyeditor who might assume he or she already knows the answers. (No disrespect intended...)

Feel free to email me off-list if I can help any further.

V

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:08 am 

that was me, eric!

i didn't just arrive off the boat, so to speak. I had gone to high school in the U.S. and completed 1 year of college. So I was well aware of the American differences. Luckily I arrived in 1998 when there was an economic boom. After 6 months of badgering, I finally landed a part-time job at a copy desk. I got fed up being part time there, so I applied and got a full-time post up here in Easton.

so to my fellow Europeans:
get a green card,
be persistent,
be prepared to go part time to get your foot in the door,
pick a pleasant area
avoid new york city

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]