Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: It's not sacrilegious, it's sacridelicious ...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:29 pm 

Chocolate Crosses Move Into Mainstream

By MATT SEDENSKY, Associated Press Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A symbol of Christianity that sits atop church steeples, dangles from necks and hangs on walls is now ending up in the mouths of the faithful, over the objections of some religious officials.

A mass-produced chocolate cross is being sold this Easter by Russell Stover Candies Inc. in about 5,000 stores nationwide, which experts say is apparently a first for a major American company.

"Obviously they've seen that there's a market for chocolate crosses at Easter," said Lisbeth Echeandia, a consultant for Candy Information Service, which monitors candy industry trends. "I don't see it growing tremendously but I think there would be growth in the Christian market."

However, not all Christians are happy about it. Chomping on a chocolate cross can be offensive to some, said Joseph McAleer, a spokesman for the Roman Catholic diocese in Bridgeport, Conn.

"The cross should be venerated, not eaten, nor tossed casually in an Easter basket beside the jelly beans and marshmallow Peeps," he said. "It's insulting."

Nonetheless, Kansas City-based Russell Stover, the third-largest American chocolate manufacturer, said it is targeting some of the most devout Christians — Hispanic Americans.

Pangburn, which Russell Stover bought in 1999, has long had a hold in that market. The milk chocolate cross is about 6 inches high, adorned with a floral bouquet and filled with caramel made of goat's milk, popular in Mexico and Latin America. Its packaging features Spanish more prominently than English.

Russell Stover President Tom Ward doesn't expect the chocolate cross to overtake the chocolate bunny, but he does expect it to bring in new customers who "wouldn't buy rabbits."

"I think it's a market that's potentially overlooked," said chocolate expert Clay Gordon, who runs the chocolate Web site Chocophile.com.

Ward said Russell Stover considered making other traditional images out of chocolate but eventually opted not to.

"A molded Jesus, for example, would not be a good call and a cross with Jesus on it wouldn't be a good idea either," Ward said.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:30 pm 

This reminds me of the guy who's marketing a squeeze doll on late-night TV called "Huggy Jesus."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:44 pm 

Well, at least it's not a Golgotha action toy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:54 pm 

Next: Christcream!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:54 pm 

Strayhorn wrote:
Well, at least it's not a Golgotha action toy.

But there is the Fifth-Wheel Jesus action figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:56 pm 

[OT] Somehow I hope that this:

Quote:
Despite the fierce storms that roll in from the Gulf of Mexico and the occasional explosions and leaking fumes, people here say they wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

gets melded into this story. (The above is from AP copy about Texas City, site of the recent BP refinery explosion.) Maybe the city fathers down there will seek some industrial diversity and open a chocolate factory with religious overtones. Headline writers everywhere rejoice..

Also, this has reminded me to dig up my copy of Jesus Built My Hot Rod (Ministry - an excellent band..)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:42 am 

The chocolate crosses are pretty bad, but I'm afraid they don't, well, hold a candle to the Jesus ashtray. Even the most hardened atheistic smoker is reluctant to fire up if the only option is to grind out the butt in this handsome recepticle:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:58 am 

Le Petomane wrote:
Even the most hardened atheistic smoker is reluctant to fire up if the only option is to grind out the butt in this handsome recepticle.

Not so fast. Pass me that ashtray.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:59 pm 

The Jesus ashtray would be particularly interesting if he had been cremated.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:42 pm 

adering wrote:
The Jesus ashtray would be particularly interesting if he had been cremated.

Yeah, but think of all the people who would be walking around with a tiny crematorium on a chain around their neck.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:09 am 

Joking aside, could someone tell me why this is a story? There's nothing new about chocolate crosses at Easter.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]