Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Accuracy and a plea for help.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:38 pm 

I'm in my last semester of J-school, and our "capstone" course (ugh) has a required paper. I, being an aspiring copy editor, chose the accuracy topic from the list we were given to write about. Here's a stab at some informal reporting to complete the paper.

If you choose to answer the questions that follow, I will need your name and the name of the publication you work for. Since I know I would be semi-uncomfortable doing that in a public forum, I invite you to send your response to me via private message or e-mail me at nikodugan@gmail.com. Rest assured that the only people who will see the paper are myself, my professor, and possibly the 29 other students in my class.

Here, then, are the questions:

1. How often does accuracy fall prey to meeting deadline where you work? How much AP copy gets through untouched?

2. In your opinion, is your desk understaffed? How would you suggest improving it so that accuracy can remain the No. 1 goal of your publication? Is accuracy the No. 1 goal where you work?

3. If you could improve upon one aspect of accuracy where you work, what would it be?

Thanks very much in advance for everyone who decides to answer these. Cheers!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:42 pm 

UPDATE: The deadline for the paper has passed, and I am waiting to receive it back from my professor. Thanks to all who e-mailed me; your answers were a great help to me.

No. 1, I'll be sending it on over once I get it back. I think it's safe to lock this one up (or delete it entirely) now. Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]