Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: The end of all things
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:55 pm 

Well, my paper has been canned for "business reasons."

I've been offered another job in the company -- more money, more in line with my copy-editing aspirations (I'm still in school, mind you) -- but it's going to be a long commute: 1 1/2-hours one way.

Is it worth it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:01 pm 

I think only you can answer that question. I wouldn't want a 90-minute commute under any circumstances, but I am older and in a completely different career stage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:32 pm 

You need to do a cost/benefit analysis. Factor in wear and tear on yourself, your car, and your wallet - the increased gas expenses may easily eat up that "more money".

In my 20s, I used to commute from Irvine to LA - an hour on a good day, two on a bad, three during a Sig Alert; it was wearing, but worth it both for the particular job [head of research for a film studio] and to come back to a town that was then relatively rural. Nowadays, I wouldn't do it, as Irvine has morphed into a vast collection of strip malls indistinguishable from every other over-developed exurb. No more benefit, too much cost.

Be realistic when considering your options - three hours a day on the road is a lot of wasted time.

D.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:29 pm 

Three hours a day is a loooong commute. Having a 65-minute (one-way) commute (which had been 40 minutes at one time, prior to increasing urban sprawl) was a key decision for me when I left my last job. I now have essentially no commute, and although I don't make as much money, I have much more time -- which has made the decision good for me. (Not to mention all of the car-related money I now save.)

Remember that the best job in the world is still just a job -- do what will make you happy.

Good luck with your decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:32 pm 

The fact that you asked indicates to me that you don't think the job is worth the commute.

You can weigh plusses and minuses until Loyd Sigmon (father of the Sig alert) comes home, but the bottom line is your gut reaction. Go with it. And good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:41 pm 

Oeditpus Rex wrote:
until Loyd Sigmon (father of the Sig alert) comes home
A mighty long time that would be...

D.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:17 am 

For comparison purposes, my commute adds up to about an hour and a half -- per week. I recommend it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:33 pm 

The best way to deal with a 90-minute daily commute is to move.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:45 pm 

Moving ain't an option. I'd have to sign a one-year lease, and I'm hoping to be in another time zone by the end of August (I'm transferring to finish my degree).

Quote:
JeffW wrote:
Remember that the best job in the world is still just a job -- do what will make you happy.

Copy editing makes me happy, and I probably won't be able to get another newspaper job until that move.

So thanks, everybody, for the help. I will certainly weigh your advice when making my decision. And I'll let you know what I decide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:16 am 

If it's a commue on safe public transport three hours a day is tolerable. Think of it as study time.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:58 am 

paulwiggins wrote:
safe public transport

Ha! You've never been to southern California, have you?

There is a reason most of us drive.

D.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:08 am 

Indeed, my comments there intended for folks in civilised cities. Because of trackwork I have a six-hour commute today, which I'd prefer to three hours of driving. Homebush to Wollongong for any train buffs among you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:55 am 

DominEditrix wrote:
paulwiggins wrote:
safe public transport

Ha! You've never been to southern California, have you?

There is a reason most of us drive.

D.

I have never visited a populous place with worse public transportation than southern California. It's the one of the main reasons I refused a couple of opportunities to live there. I hate driving. I haven't been behind the wheel of a vehicle in more than a year now and I couldn't be happier about it.

When I was a working copy editor in Florida (also a place with bad public transportation, I admit) my commute was about five minutes each way. That and the low cost of living made my pathetic salary a decent income.

Walrus, if there's another way to make ends meet in the interim, I'd consider just finishing school and then moving on as you already seem to be planning. August isn't that far away, and there's something to be said for taking some time away and refreshing yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:19 pm 

Here's my solution, which I will propose to the managing editor, the editor and the publisher tomorrow: I will work from my current desk, where my plant and my bottom are happy, because our computer system makes that possible. It's not desireable to be so far away, but it's the best I can do. If they don't go for that, I'm willing to give a little on the raise -- it is, after all, a little raise.

Funny that you mention safe public transit, Mr. Wiggins; the job's in Glendale. But if it were feasible for me to take the train, I absolutely would.

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:30 pm 

Here's the update: I was willing to work two days a week at the far-away newsroom -- about 65 miles away from my home by recent estimates -- and work the rest of my shifts from my current locale. I was also willing to take a pay cut. Not so unreasonable if you ask me, considering that, with the right equipment, I could copy edit that paper from the Moon. But the ME said no, and now I'm unemployed.

Here I come, McDonald's!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:06 am 

Good luck, Walrus, and don't despair. Something better will come along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:32 am 

I concur.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:59 pm 

SuchASlot wrote:
Something better will come along.

And indeed it did!

A desk mate on another paper here has decided that he will take the far-away job (it's not far at all from his place) and I can take his. He deserves praise for his superb copy-editing and headline-writing talent, but he deserves more praise for his good nature.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]