Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Open access and copyright
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:43 am 

I was wondering if anybody could help me with this. The publishing house I'm working at just turned two of its journals from subscription-based to open access. As prepress team developer, I have to modify the copyright part on the inside front cover and add a part on open access. I've been trying to find examples on the Net of journal copyright notices but all I've found is the copyright agreement that authors are supposed to sign. Any suggestions? Maybe somebody would like to take a look at what I've done so far? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:34 pm 

I'm not sure I understand what needs to be added. How did your original copyright read? Why would open access need to be spelled out in a copyright?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:56 am 

One such catch-all clause reads ... may be reproduced on the Internet, by CD-ROM or by other means.
*Mine is more complex and involves a company to which copyright payments are paid.*

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:53 am 

Copyright needs to be modified to suit the new open access policy. Otherwise there will be restrictions in our copyright notice which should not be enforced under open access. I put a copy of what I've done below. I think mentioning the Creative Commons Attribution License sort of protects the authors and articles from any fraud, but I'm not sure. Thanks anyway everybody.

OPEN ACCESS

All articles are freely available online, permitting all users to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of these articles, crawl them for indexing, pass them as data to software, or use them for any other lawful purpose, without financial, legal, or technical barriers other than those inseparable from gaining access to the Internet itself, provided authors are given control over the integrity of their work and the right to be properly acknowledged and cited. Authors maintain the copyright to their own work, a policy facilitating dissemination of data to the widest possible audience without requiring permission from the publisher.

A printed version is available via annual subscription of €100 for institutions and €30 for individuals. Orders should be accompanied by payment and sent to ...

For more information please visit http://...

ARTICLE PROCESSING CHARGES

Page charges are €100/page for pages 9 and up. The charges for the first eight pages are nonmandatory; however, if they are paid by the author or their company or institution, the author will be entitled to a set of 100 free reprints with covers. The charges for pages in excess of the first eight pages are mandatory. These charges can be waived only in special circumstances by the Editor-in-Chief. Color reproduction is expensive and it is mandatory for authors or their institutes to subsidize the color reproduction; color illustrations will be accepted only if the editor considers them necessary and the costs are borne by the author. Article processing charges of €800 are levied per article for manuscripts containing color figures and will be billed to the author of correspondence.

COPYRIGHT

Submission of a manuscript implies that the work described has not been published before (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture, review, or thesis); that it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere; and that its publication has been approved by all coauthors, if any, as well as by the responsible authorities at the institute where the work has been carried out.

All online articles published in ... are open access, distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

The use of general descriptive names, trade names, trademarks, and so forth, in this publication, even if not specifically identified, does not imply that these names are not protected by the relevant laws and regulations.

While the advice and information in this journal are believed to be true and accurate on the date of its going to press, neither the authors, the editors, nor the publisher can accept any legal responsibility for any errors or omissions that may be made. The publisher makes no warranty, express or implied, with respect to the material contained herein.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:01 pm 

For open access, you might want to look into the Creative Commons license. It has international support, which is a nice bonus.

http://creativecommons.org/

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]