Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Cliche o' the day
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:20 am 

George Washington started out as a baby. Little did he know that one day his face would appear on the quarter.
Quote:
(CNN) -- While tinkering in his garage, French electrician Andre Cassagnes dreamed up a drawing toy that kids could shake up and start over.

Little did he know that more than 50 years later, the toy that became the Etch A Sketch would continue to delight children.

Quote:
When he arrived at the Pak-Afghan Torkham border in search of a job, little did he know that he would be recruited as a smuggler, ferrying goods back and forth across the border.
[Express Tribune]
Quote:
Dufek also recalled two kids running around the field all the time that obviously had a knack for football. Little did he know those kids, John and Jim, would one day be coaching against each other in the Super Bowl.
[AnnArbor.com]
Quote:
After the horn sounded, Overeem looked at him, grinned and nodded. Little did he likely know what was to come 90 seconds later.
[USA Today]
Quote:
In addition to composing the singular piece of music that came to symbolize the 1920s in America, "The Charleston," Johnson aspired to compose music for symphony orchestra and had actually written several orchestral pieces that were premiered at Carnegie Hall in the early 1940s. I was beyond eager to get my hands on that music, but Kimball was quite discouraging. He told me that all of the parts and scores were long gone; there was no existing recording of the Carnegie Hall event, and there was no chance that I could find that music. He said many people had tried unsuccessfully over the years.

Little did he know that "can't" is my four-letter motivator!
[WRTI]

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]