Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Relative pronoun
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:07 pm 

When you're too lazy to make a call, or can't be bothered to thumb through Bartlett's, or can't find the Rolodex or the Blackberry, or forgot to write down that telling bon mot you heard from the cabdriver/news butcher/cleaning lady:

Quote:
ONCE, back in the 1990s, my very young son, surveying the density of scaffolding and construction sites in our Manhattan neighborhood, said, “Dad, when are they going to finish building New York?” I think of his question whenever I open a bottle of wine from the Languedoc, a region that seems as if it, too, is permanently in transition.
[Times]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Relative pronoun
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:13 pm 

Update: Another day, another reviewer, another handy relative:
Quote:
“It’s better than ‘Lincoln,’ ” my teenage daughter said, as the end credits rolled at a screening of Quentin Tarantino’s “Django Unchained.” She was teasing me — it’s a sad fact of my life that some of the people I’m fondest of do not seem to share my fondness for Steven Spielberg’s latest movie — but also suggesting an interesting point of comparison.
[Times]

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]