Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: This and that
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:34 pm 

Philip Roth says he has stopped writing novels. I blame Wikipedia, and all those scribblers who think his false title should be "seminal author."
Quote:
Dear Wikipedia,

I am Philip Roth. I had reason recently to read for the first time the Wikipedia entry discussing my novel “The Human Stain.” The entry contains a serious misstatement that I would like to ask to have removed. This item entered Wikipedia not from the world of truthfulness but from the babble of literary gossip—there is no truth in it at all.

Yet when, through an official interlocutor, I recently petitioned Wikipedia to delete this misstatement, along with two others, my interlocutor was told by the “English Wikipedia Administrator”—in a letter dated August 25th and addressed to my interlocutor—that I, Roth, was not a credible source: “I understand your point that the author is the greatest authority on their own work,” writes the Wikipedia Administrator—“but we require secondary sources.”
[Roth in The New Yorker]

Quote:
Seminal American novelist Philip Roth, one of the world's most revered authors, is retiring from writing, his publisher Houghton Mifflin said on Friday.
[MSN]
Quote:
Seminal American author Philip Roth, whose novels explored modern Jewish-American life, has told a French magazine that he will write no more books because he has lost his passion for it.
[Reuters via Chicago Tribune]
Quote:
Seminal American novelist Philip Roth is retiring from writing, his publisher Houghton Mifflin said today.
[Irish Times]
Quote:
Seminal American novelist Philip Roth, one of the world's most revered authors, is retiring from writing, his publisher Houghton Mifflin said on Friday.
[Oregon Herald]

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]