Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Willful Disregard
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:21 pm 

I've stayed away from the controversy about the Islamic community center planned in lower Manhattan, including references to it as "Ground Zero mosque." I figured early on that the inaccurate portrayal would be adopted by the New York tabs and not by real newspapers. As is the case more and more lately when I believe newspapers will do the right thing, I was wrong.

The New York Times appears to be alone among the big publications in rejecting the headline-friendly but inaccurate and, now, politically charged shorthand. I do not understand how any slot editor could let it through. It's inaccurate and everyone knows it. (Michael Calderone's story traces the history of the usage)

I never understood why "ground zero" became an accepted term for the World Trade Center site. From May 28, 2002:

"Ground zero" has a long history as a cliché but was occasionally useful in its original sense, meaning the point at which a nuclear explosion is triggered. To apply the term to the World Trade Center is to be needlessly vague about the nature of the attack. It also makes the term useless in its original sense, particularly in reference to the nuclear attacks on Hiroshima and Ngasaki, Japan, in 1945.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Willful Disregard
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:41 pm 

Agreed about the mosque error. Dangit.

I suspect "ground zero" gained currency partly because it sounds dramatic, and partly because the effects of the WTC collapse spread for blocks and blocks around, the way shock waves and fire radiate outward from a nuclear explosion. The term's migration seems natural to me. But that's just a guess.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:26 pm 

The Associated Press, one of world's most powerful news organizations, issued a memo today advising staff to avoid the phrase "Ground Zero mosque." (Michael Calderone)

*** A memo that should not have to be sent. ***

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:28 pm 

"We should continue to avoid the phrase 'ground zero mosque' or 'mosque at ground zero' on all platforms," said Tom Kent, the AP's deputy managing editor for standards and production, in the memo the news organization shared with The Upshot. ... Kent said in the memo that the AP has "very rarely used this wording, except in "slugs" -- shorthand descriptions of stories sent over the wire.

*** Kent clearly has no inkling of how many lousy headlines are written by lazy and/or overworked copy editors based on story slugs. ***

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:38 pm 

FWIW, on a related note, @APStylebook on Twitter said today that "The site of the Sept. 11 attack on the World Trade Center in New York is ground zero."

This may sound self-evident, but I've participated in newsroom "discussions" about what "ground zero" is: Where the twin towers stood, or the whole WTC site itself. This didn't matter until stories had to define exactly how far the proposed location of the so-called ground zero mosque is from ground zero. There's a difference between how far it is from the WTC's northern boundary and from the crater where the twin towers stood.

Not surprisingly (this is AP we're talking about), the AP stylebook entry on "ground zero" remains simply that: "ground zero." OK, after nine years, we know we're not supposed to capitalize it. Now can you define it, please?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:56 pm 

Rio wrote:
OK, after nine years, we know we're not supposed to capitalize it. Now can you define it, please?

Can someone please explain to me why we're not supposed to capitalize it? It does refer to a specific place, which seems an awful lot like a proper noun to me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:10 pm 

Good question, JRoach. The other posters pointed out that it doesn't make sense as a generic description, so, I agree, if you insist on using it for that purpose, you ought to make it a proper noun.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:10 am 

Washington Post style uppercases "Ground Zero." The New York Times lowercases it. I don't care. Pick a style and stick with it. As I mentioned above, it shouldn't be called "ground zero" anyway.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]