Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Let the speculation begin
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:55 am 

Image<p>Exploded?<p>CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (Reuters) - The space shuttle Columbia appeared to explode and break up in the skies over Texas on Saturday ....

Did it?<p>By MARCIA DUNN
AP Aerospace Writer <p>CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - Space shuttle Columbia broke apart in flames as it streaked over Texas toward its landing strip Saturday, killing all seven astronauts. <p>Better.<p>[ February 01, 2003: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Let the speculation begin
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:40 pm 

And while we're on the subject, can we please, please, please refrain from speculation about whether the astronauts died immediately or might have survived the initial whatever only to die while plummeting to Earth? IT DOESN'T MATTER. Let their families grieve it for what it is, without making it worse.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:03 pm 
And also, no speculation about whether al-Qaida-connected terrorists managed to blow up the shuttle (there was a hint of this on a Seattle talk-radio show, connected with the Israeli astronaut on board ... by the same people who wonder why Karl Rove hasn't been arrested in connection with the death of Paul Wellstone and believe that Hillary Clinton put a gun in Vince Foster's mouth).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:17 pm 
Anybody want to guess at how many writethrus will run on the main AP shuttle story? AS I look now, at 1:16 p.m. PST, there are 19 so far on the Nation wire. I'll guess there'll be 37. Anbody want to start a pool?<p>Also, anybody know what the "record" for single-story AP writethrus is?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:42 pm 
By MARCIA DUNN
AP Aerospace Writer
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — Space shuttle Columbia broke apart in flames 200,000 feet over Texas on Saturday, killing all seven astronauts just minutes before they were to glide to a landing in Florida.
“Columbia is lost; there are no survivors,” President Bush announced to a stunned nation.<p>*** Is the nation stunned? I see no evidence of this in the story, or in my own observations.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:00 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jim Thomsen:
*** Is the nation stunned? I see no evidence of this in the story, or in my own observations.<hr></blockquote><p>I can speak only for the patrons of the Maytag coin-op in lovely Willow Glen, which is where I was when I heard the news ...<p>About a dozen of us looked up from our laundry and watched somberly until Dan Rather began repeating himself. Then we gradually broke up and went back to our business.<p>This correspondent scored 82,000 points on Mrs. Pac Man while his clothes were drying.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:28 pm 
This correspondent scored 82,000 points on Mrs. Pac Man while his clothes were drying. <p>Craig, you buried the lead! An 82,000 score is rare in my experience, and thus eminently newsworthy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:46 pm 

I see marcia is blowing her chance at writing as a real reporter for what will likely be the crowning moment of her AP career. <p>
I'd like to give a plug for my personal mission: Can we rein in as many Sept. 11 references as possible in these stories? If the first thing anyone thought when they heard what happened was "First 9/11 now this," they're idiots and we shouldn't cater to them. Let today's events stand of their own merit and context. And yes, I saw the Iowa family that lost an astronaut and someone on Sept. 11.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]