Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: I think I've found a new e-mail sig
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:53 am 

What I really want to focus on is copy editing. I do not feel prepared for journalism.<p>--Aimi Gunderson<p>(Hey, could I make this up? Check it out yourself here.)

Post subject: Re: I think I've found a new e-mail sig
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:10 am 

I keep trying to get my hands on a copy of the AP style gide, but I can't seem to find it through any search. Thank god I have my stylebook to fall back on. (What good atheist would capitalize god, anyway?)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:38 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gary Kirchherr:
What I really want to focus on is copy editing. I do not feel prepared for journalism.<p>--Aimi Gunderson<p>(Hey, could I make this up? Check it out yourself here.)<hr></blockquote><p>Yeeesh! Save us from help like that!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:18 pm 
If you scroll back a few posts in that link that Gary provided to us, you'll see that "Aimi" claims to hold a master's degree in English.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:48 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jim Thomsen:
If you scroll back a few posts in that link that Gary provided to us, you'll see that "Aimi" claims to hold a master's degree in English.<hr></blockquote>Proving, once again, that said degree is no guarantee of anything.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:42 pm 

Hey, easy on Aimi, now. I'd be delightfully
reassured, in fact, if a few dozen others
came forward and said they were't prepared
for journalism. Of course, they're all employed
as first-string reporters, and even editors.<p>[ January 30, 2003: Message edited by: jmcg ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:04 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jmcg:
Hey, easy on Aimi, now. I'd be delightfully
reassured, in fact, if a few dozen others
came forward and said they were't prepared
for journalism. Of course, they're all employed
as first-string reporters, and even editors.<p>[ January 30, 2003: Message edited by: jmcg ]
<hr></blockquote>Hell, we'd all love to hear that from the folks we know who are woefully unprepared to be in their positions. That doesn't mean I want them on my desk! I have a problem with her implication that copyediting isn't journalism and is an appropriate starting place for someone with no relevant experience. And my definition of relevant experience is pretty broad, given my own background. A master's in English doesn't impress me, nor is it necessarily a promise of copyediting competence. IMHO.<p>[ January 30, 2003: Message edited by: SusanV ]</p>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:50 pm 

some old-school copy editors don't consider their work journalism -- a term that's too high-falutin'.<p>some call it newspapering (if they like gerunds) or newspaper work. Or copy editing.
almost anything but journalism.<p>not that i know what the job-seeker was thinking.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:53 am 

You're missing the TRULY scary part:<p>aimigundersen wrote:
I have taught English for five years

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:52 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kawtry:
You're missing the TRULY scary part:<p>aimigundersen wrote:
[b]I have taught English for five years
[/b]<hr></blockquote><p>All a matter of priorities.<p>I was forced out at a paper with a circulation of about 100,000 where I was a slot editor, wire editor, designer, and sometimes chief copy editor or night editor. My replacement: a woman whose job was being abolished in the personnel department, where she'd worked for decades. She had no newsroom experience.<p>Management's explanation: She had a degree in English.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 6:26 pm 
In my experience and observations, an English degree is impractical and largely useless as training for journalism. I was enrolled for a few years in an English degree program in college when I was more interested in becoming a different kind of writer, and my program was filled composition, theory and literature classes -- with very few core requisite classes in grammar, style, usage and the like. I spent a whole semester deconstructing "The Portrait Of A Lady" by Henry James, but when it cames to learning about gerunds, tenses, punctuation, clauses and the like, I had to get boot-camp-like instruction from my first city editor. Which is perhaps as it should be.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]