Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Good hed of the week
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:29 pm 

The Sun-Times ran a story this week about the upcoming opening of a play called "Puppetry of the Penis.'' For those of you who missed this, the play stars the penis is various forms of manipulation. (Kind of like those balloon magicians ...)<p>
The headline:<p> The thing's the play<p> I thought that was pretty darn good ...

Post subject: Re: Good hed of the week
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:57 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dasher:
The headline:<p> The thing's the play<p> I thought that was pretty darn good ...<hr></blockquote><p><cough><p>Let's just say "it's been done" and leave it at that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:07 pm 

Blanp, I knew you'd say that! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:31 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dasher:
Blanp, I knew you'd say that! :) <hr></blockquote><p>Again, you're being deliberately provocative. You know perfectly well that we tear things down around here, not praise them.<p>(A friend of mine avoids this site because, she says, it's "too negative." Well, "duh"!)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:37 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
<p>Again, you're being deliberately provocative. You know perfectly well that we tear things down around here, not praise them.<p>(A friend of mine avoids this site because, she says, it's "too negative." Well, "duh"!)<hr></blockquote><p>Yeah, leave that positive stuff to Poynter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:38 pm 

I'll be a bit argumentative, if not negative.<p>Let's not just say it's been done before. I don't have nexis access, so could you tell us where and how often it's been done before? I see that it's an O. Henry title and the title to an episode of "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" (!) (btw, Jean Kerr died a couple of weeks ago), but has it been used much in headlines before and was any a specific reference to a penis? If not, then maybe we shouldn't just say it's been done before and should just give someone a little credit for having fun with a headline. <p>It's a thoroughly entertaining headline and a reference i'd never seen before and probably neither had a vast majority of the Sun-Times readers. <p>I know i'm leading with my chin on this one, but then i don't have any rigid rules about trotting out a play on words, even if O. Henry -- surprise! -- beat me to it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:59 pm 

Toronto Star
August 25, 2001 Saturday Ontario Edition <p>HEADLINE: The thing's the play for penis puppeteers <p>Richard Ouzounian, THEATRE CRITIC <p>It's a birthday that Jackie will never forget. <p>She's a cherubic, cheerful lady of a certain age and she'd been out to celebrate with friends over a dinner at Swiss Chalet. Then she wound up on stage during the audience participation portion of The Puppetry Of The Penis (****), which opened last night at the New Yorker Theatre, and found herself holding a naked man's legs in the air while he twisted his genitals into the shape of an Australian fruit bat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:41 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jjmoney62:
It's a thoroughly entertaining headline ....
<hr></blockquote><p>No, it's not.
"Thing. Oh. You mean THAT thing. Giggle."
It's a baby-talk baby step up from "F-Word."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:58 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jjmoney62:
give someone a little credit for having fun with a headline.<hr></blockquote><p>It's like I don't know you.
Headlines are not for copy editors to have fun with.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 2:32 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
It's like I don't know you.
Headlines are not for copy editors to have fun with.
<hr></blockquote><p>Most of the time, that's true. But given the subject matter, it would be hard not to have fun with it. In fact, a straightforward lede might even seem out of place.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:11 am 

Speaking of recycling headlines from the Toronto Star:<p>Toronto Star
November 1, 2001
<B>The Keys to happiness</B>
At the end of the lazily winding concrete ribbon lies Key West, a part of Florida that makes the hours on the highway worthwhile <p>The Washington Post
January 26, 2003
<B>The Keys to Happiness</B>
Drinking up Florida's southernmost islands to the very last drop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 9:16 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr> Originally posted by jjmoney62:
It's an endlessly clever headline... <hr></blockquote><p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
<p>No, it's not.
<hr></blockquote><p>Yes it is.<p>[ January 26, 2003: Message edited by: jjmoney62 ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]