Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Wall Street Journal invents its own language
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:37 pm 
From a story about Fox News head Roger Ailes warning his staff about complacency after the announced resignation of CNN chief Walter Isaacson:<p>"I had to womp them and get them out of a winning mindset," says Ailes. <p>*** I can't find "womp" as anything other than an acronym or an esoteric title in any dictionary or on Google.

Post subject: Re: The Wall Street Journal invents its own language
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:41 pm 

It's not an invented word, it's a misspelling of "whomp."<p>[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:51 pm 
That's my point ... you'd think that would have raised a billboard-sized red flag on their copy desk. And yet it slid though uncritically ... amazing for a paper of the WSJ's vaunted reputation.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:16 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jim Thomsen:
That's my point ... you'd think that would have raised a billboard-sized red flag on their copy desk. And yet it slid though uncritically ... amazing for a paper of the WSJ's vaunted reputation.<hr></blockquote><p>Well, misspellings do occur.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:45 pm 

It is hard to get worked up over a misspelling.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:04 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jim Thomsen:
That's my point ... you'd think that would have raised a billboard-sized red flag on their copy desk. And yet it slid though uncritically ... amazing for a paper of the WSJ's vaunted reputation.<hr></blockquote><p>Well, when you lay off tons of people and leave the paper understaffed, as The WSJ has done, this kind of thing is going to happen. Let's see how long its "vaunted reputation" lasts in this environment.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:07 am 

Well said, Gary.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:55 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gary Kirchherr:
<p>Well, when you lay off tons of people and leave the paper understaffed, as The WSJ has done, this kind of thing is going to happen. Let's see how long its "vaunted reputation" lasts in this environment.<hr></blockquote>Amen. Our entire proofreading staff was cut last year, and we now do our own proofreading. We still manage to put out a fairly clean magazine overall, but I've pretty much stopped reading it in published form because of all the things I find after the fact. It's depressing.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]