Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is the ACES conference as funny as you guys?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 7:19 pm 

I was going to say "as funny as you'all/you-all," but I don't know how to spell that.<p>If so, maybe I should try to go next year, if they have it in a place that's closer to Washington so it won't cost me $1,000 total.<p>If not, and it's a bunch of dweebs that aren't as funny as this board, then I'll stay home.

Post subject: Re: Is the ACES conference as funny as you guys?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 7:27 pm 

ACES, in addition to being useful, is also hilarious in its own way. Next year's is in Houston.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 7:39 pm 
I'll be in Chicago for this year's hullabaloo. Anybody else? Shall we plan a late-night Testy Tequila gathering?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 7:39 pm 

Although Houston isn't closer to Washington, it does have the distinction of being cheaper than Chicago. And anyone who wants to pitch a tent in my back yard is welcome, although I can't guarantee you won't be pelted by rain or attacked by possums or raccoons.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:30 pm 

blanp,<p> are you planning a return to Chicago for ACES conference?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:49 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dasher:
blanp,<p> are you planning a return to Chicago for ACES conference?<hr></blockquote><p>I will be there. Bowling, anyone?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:01 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
<p>I will be there. Bowling, anyone?<hr></blockquote><p>I hate bowling (especially at the hours that you bowl), but I would be happy to spring for some fine cigars ...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:23 am 

I have family in east Texas. Maybe I should try to make the Houston conference. I also know a couple people at the Chronicle and perhaps could torment one of them into putting me up cheap. My former boss now runs the joint there, and I am sure he would be delighted if I showed up at his house with a case of Pearl and a few Dead bootlegs.<p>I'm curious, Phil, why you consider ACES funny. I really don't know anything about ACES, other than that embarrassing "It's the place to be" pamphlet that you quoted from on the home page here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:00 am 

That brochure, from Knight Ridder, was left on the literature table at the ACES conference, so you can't blame the organization for it.<p>As I've said many times, I think ACES is an important organization and I support it wholeheartedly. I've attended all but one of its conferences and I've gotten something out of each. But there are some presentations that are intended to be taken seriously but cannot be. Some of them are offensive but most are just plain funny. Veteran attendees know what I'm talking about. I won't embarrass anyone in this forum but once the schedule is out I might be able to point some people privately to a howler or two.<p>Incidentally, I am "presenting" this year, and for all I know, I will inspire the same feelings in others. Wait. Who am I kidding? I know I will.<p>[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:15 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:

As I've said many times, I think ACES is an important organization and I support it wholeheartedly. I've attended all but one of its conferences and I've gotten something out of each. But there are some presentations that are intended to be taken seriously but cannot be. Some of them are offensive but most are just plain funny. Veteran attendees know what I'm talking about. I won't embarrass anyone in this forum but once the schedule is out I might be able to point some people privately to a howler or two.<p>Incidentally, I am "presenting" this year, and for all I know, I will inspire the same feelings in others. Wait. Who am I kidding? I know I will.
<hr></blockquote><p>well, the flashbacks you just caused might be balanced by anticipation of a most testy presentation in March. what's your topic? will there be handouts? flipcharts? snacks?<p>[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: Wayne Countryman ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:34 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Wayne Countryman:
<p>what's your topic? will there be handouts? flipcharts? snacks?<p><hr></blockquote>

The topic is, "OK, Listen Up. This Is Simple."
There might be "handouts," if I can find the energy. There will be no "flipcharts," PowerPoint, video, or parlor games. You bring the snacks, pal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:43 pm 
Can you explain your topic in a little more detail?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:12 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jim Thomsen:
Can you explain your topic in a little more detail?<hr></blockquote><p>No.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:29 pm 

Well, please include me in the private "howler" message group.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:16 pm 

I think it is fair to say that the hilarity at ACES conferences is available in both forms, the intentional and the unintentional.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:55 am 

from blanp: "I think ACES is an important organization and I support it wholeheartedly."<p>****this doesn't sound very testy to me.<p>And that may be a good thing. I'll be going to the ACES for the first time this year. The testy side of me doesn't expect much from it, so I would gladly welcome any suggestions about which topics, presenters stand out now that the schedule is out.<p>Thanks.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]