Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Take the day off
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:09 am 

BY MARK BROWN SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST
I'm in too bad a mood to write a column today. Sorry, I just can't do it.
I suppose I owe you some sort of explanation, but honestly, I can't quite put my finger on it. I'm just in a foul mood. (Chicago Sun Times)<p>***The "I don't feel like writing a column today" column is even worse than the "letters from readers" column. Brown reveals later that he's grumpy because he's on a diet, about which no one cares. If you don't feel like writing a column, don't. And, if you're an editor, if someone turns in a column that begins, "I'm in too bad a mood to write a column today," spike it.***<p>[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Take the day off
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:18 am 

Actually, I would have said, a major cause of diet failure is that it causes irritability and increase depression in those who already have it. I saw a study on CNN.com that stated it lowers serotonin levels in depressed overweight women due to lower tryptophan levels.
So, I wouldn't say the column should be trashed--but the editor should have told the columnist that it's an issue that could be really relevant to the readers, so get on the Web a little and apply yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:30 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Emily Salmon:
Actually, I would have said, a major cause of diet failure is that it causes irritability and increase depression in those who already have it. I saw a study on CNN.com that stated it lowers serotonin levels in depressed overweight women due to lower tryptophan levels.
So, I wouldn't say the column should be trashed--but the editor should have told the columnist that it's an issue that could be really relevant to the readers, so get on the Web a little and apply yourself.
<hr></blockquote><p>
Haven't dealt with too many columnists, have you?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 5:25 pm 

It's easier and more efficient to hit a columnist over the head with a frying pan than it is to say all that, Emily.<p>Or, better yet, hit this particular columnist over the head with a 10-pound sack of pork rinds.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 7:06 pm 

You're right, I guess that was dumb--columnists are probably the paper's stars, and you don't tell them anything. Except, I open my mouth regardless of what your status is, which is why I'm...unemployed.
Well, as I've told some of you, I'm just a groupie here--a former reporter, now a barely part-time freelance writer. You have to take your groupies as they come--no pun intended.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:27 pm 

What pun?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:36 am 

Oh, no. Here we go again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:40 am 

Emily:<p>I tell our columnists whatever the hell I want to tell them. As we all should.<p>And as far as you speaking up here, I would be disappointed if you didn't.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:28 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Emily Salmon:
Oh, no. Here we go again.<hr></blockquote>If that (non)pun is what I'm thinking it is, OUCH.<p>Note to blanp: To get this one, it helps to have a mind permanently stuck in the gutter. ;)<p>[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: SusanV ]</p>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:12 pm 

Sorry--since there are so many men on this site, I should have remembered their sensibilities.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:43 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>
Note to blanp: To get this one, it helps to have a mind permanently stuck in the gutter. ;)
[/QB]<hr></blockquote><p>Blanp did mention recently he likes to bowl.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:52 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SusanV:
If that (non)pun is what I'm thinking it is, OUCH.<p>Note to blanp: To get this one, it helps to have a mind permanently stuck in the gutter.<hr></blockquote><p>I "got it." Enough!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]