Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is Joe Reader really *that* dumb?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:17 am 

I realize this is a bit dated by now, but when Frist made a bid for the Senate leadership, the idea of the hed "Frist in line" was bandied about at the News-Record. It was nixed because the powers that be believed we'd be fielding a host of "you made a typo in your headline" calls.<p>I realize, of course, that many of you don't like wordplay in heds, but I thought it would have been great. Excusing the fact that it *is* a play on words, should we really have believed that readers would be that stupid (especially since a mug of Frist would have accompanied the story)?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Is Joe Reader really *that* dumb?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:30 am 

1. Yes<p>2. The hed was a terrible idea.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:32 am 

It might be a "play on words" if "Frist" were a word.<p>Don't mess with people's names.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 3:34 pm 
Our paper did this when Frist was elevated to the Senate leadership posta few weeks ago. Our A1, above-the-fold teaser read, in 72-point Impact Bold, "Frist is foremost." The letters and calls from readers who think we made an embarrassing typo are STILL coming in ....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:16 am 

If others had your restraint. From Bill Safire's language column:<p>Not since the departure of Ken Starr ("Starr Turn") and Louis Freeh ("Freeh at Last!") have headline writers had such an
opportunity to play on a famous person's name. <p>The Hotline, and then Time
magazine, put the name in play with "Frist Among Equals." The St. Petersburg Times offered its "Frist Impressions" and the Knight
Ridder Tribune news wire came up with a play on the Clintonian slogan with "Frist Things Frist." Every headline writer in America is now looking for other ways to substitute the senator's name for compounds or phrases that use first.<p>On help that the new majority leader is giving the Bush White House: Frist
aid. (When the article is about the work of his deputy, Sen. Mitch McConnell,
that would be spelled Frist aide.) <p>On a favorable assessment of his stewardship: Frist classor Frist rate in
sharp contrast to an early defeat of favored legislation, Frist down. Severe disapproval of an early decision will be labeled Frist offense. <p>A profile of his wife, Karyn, cannot help but be titled Frist lady.<p>Editorialists supporting a filibuster, and familiar with the Hippocratic oath,
will admonish him under the imperative headline Frist, Do No Harm. <p>Of course, if he makes it to the top, decades from now his eulogy will be Frist in war,
Frist in peace, Frist in the hearts of his countrymen. (Except that countrymen is now considered sexist. Edit Light-Horse Harry Lee's eulogy of Washington to compatriots.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:41 am 

Thus, even the jackass Safire reminds people not to make fun of names.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:20 pm 

On a related note, our in-house contest just awarded first prize this headline:<p>Centenarian festivities are still going Strom<p>
Cringe.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:09 am 

Say it ain't so.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:18 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bumfketeer:
Say it ain't so.<hr></blockquote><p>If only I could. Hed was lauded as creative way to make use of a name that was "crying out for wordplay."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:39 am 

Suddenly I feel better about my Election 2000 hed (which came about at 3 a.m. PST): "Florida holds the keys." I was pissed to see USA Today come out two hours later with the same hed, but at least it wasn't viewed as inevitable.<p>Original question withdrawn.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:40 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pete Hahnloser:
Suddenly I feel better about my Election 2000 hed (which came about at 3 a.m. PST): "Florida holds the keys." <hr></blockquote><p>Don't feel too good about it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:30 am 

JBM, I am disappointed but not surprised at the reaction to that "going Strom" hed. It makes no sense at all on any level.<p>Don't mess with people's names. I know I wouldn't want a hed making fun of my name.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:03 am 

Speaking of which, are Tim Hathcock, Member # 7, and Pete Hahnloser, Member #101, related? :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]