Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Good enough for me
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:24 am 

RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. (AP) -- By his own admission, Jack Gosch's front nine at the Sunrise Country Club earlier this week was nothing special.
That all changed in a hurry.
He aced the 10th hole. And then on the 11th -- bingo! -- another hole in one.
``I've never gotten more congratulations for anything in my life,'' the 74-year-old Gosch said Thursday, three days after his amazing feat. ``The word spreads fast in the golf community.''
After what he called his worst front nine at Sunrise since October, Gosch used a driver to ace the 204-yard, par-3 10th hole. He followed that up by hitting an 8-iron into the hole on the 135-yard, par-3 11th.
And there was no disputing that it really happened, either. Playing in his foursome was Jerry Seeman, the senior director of officiating in the NFL for 10 1/2 years until his retirement in June 2001.

***... and who could doubt Jerry?***<p>***"Bingo"?***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Good enough for me
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 3:51 pm 

I'm guessing blanp is not one to wear loud pants and chase little white balls at the country club, but as a former golfer, I am mighty impressed that someone made two holes in one in a row. I never heard of that. The odds of it occurring must be astronomical. I don't suppose the story said what they were.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:18 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:
I'm guessing blanp is not one to wear loud pants and chase little white balls at the country club, but as a former golfer, I am mighty impressed that someone made two holes in one in a row. I never heard of that. The odds of it occurring must be astronomical. I don't suppose the story said what they were.<hr></blockquote><p>I'm impressed, if it's true. The "point" was that there's no particular reason to believe a retired NFL official. The story would have us believe that there's no question that it happened, because the former football referee said it did. I'm not implying for a second that it didn't happen, I'm just trashing the wording of the story.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:36 pm 
I agree ... the writer should be penalized $15 on his or her time card for literary misconduct.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:55 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
<p>I'm impressed, if it's true. The "point" was that there's no particular reason to believe a retired NFL official. The story would have us believe that there's no question that it happened, because the former football referee said it did. I'm not implying for a second that it didn't happen, I'm just trashing the wording of the story.<hr></blockquote>Hehe, I agree. Given all that we've heard lately about blown calls, I'd be more inclined to disbelieve anything a ref said! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:25 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>And there was no disputing that it really happened, either. Playing in his foursome was Jerry Seeman, the senior director of officiating in the NFL for 10 1/2 years until his retirement in June 2001.<hr></blockquote><p>Dammit, there's a red flag on the course! That means it's being challenged.<p>Yes it's attached to a stick. Why do you ask?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 12:17 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
<p>I'm impressed, if it's true. The "point" was that there's no particular reason to believe a retired NFL official. The story would have us believe that there's no question that it happened, because the former football referee said it did. I'm not implying for a second that it didn't happen, I'm just trashing the wording of the story.<hr></blockquote><p>One of our readers wrote in today grousing that the two aces came on a course that isn't full size (a little more than 6,000 yards, making it a par-64 layout).<p>"The odds of making a hole-in-one increase dramatically on the smaller course," he wrote.<p>Maybe so, but isn't that increase from Unbelievably, Incredibly Freakin' Unlikely to Unbelievably Freakin' Unlikely?<p>I mean, it ain't Putt-Putt.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 12:22 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Craig Lancaster:
<p>One of our readers wrote in today grousing that the two aces came on a course that isn't full size (a little more than 6,000 yards, making it a par-64 layout).<p>"The odds of making a hole-in-one increase dramatically on the smaller course," he wrote.<p>Maybe so, but isn't that increase from Unbelievably, Incredibly Freakin' Unlikely to Unbelievably Freakin' Unlikely?<p>I mean, it ain't Putt-Putt.<hr></blockquote>I note that your complainer didn't say that he'd aced the course. Sounds like sour grapes. Smaller course or not, it's still an amazing feat.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 12:50 pm 

Before Blanp closes this wandering thread, I want to note that, on a full-size course, I once shanked a drive and watched in horror and amazement as it went between the legs of another guy in my foursome.<p>This was not witnessed by a former NFL official, but it was witnessed by ADKBrown.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:56 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Craig Lancaster:
<p>One of our readers wrote in today grousing that the two aces came on a course that isn't full size (a little more than 6,000 yards, making it a par-64 layout).<hr></blockquote><p>You're right, the length of the course has nothing to do with it. A par 3 on a short course can be as long as a par 3 elsewhere. In fact, one of aces (if they occurred--I take your point, blanp) was on a 204-yard hole, which is fairly long. <p>Bumf, I'll stand behind your post. Obviously, behind you is the place to be.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]