Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Just checking
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:40 pm 

By George F. Will
Ten years ago, the last time this non-economic city--it makes laws and news and not much else--was speaking solemnly about the need for a "stimulus package," Sen. Bob Kerrey, the rarely solemn Nebraska Democrat who was then dating actress Debra Winger, said she was his stimulus package.<p>***Was he? Did he?***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Just checking
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:44 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
By George F. Will
Ten years ago, the last time this non-economic city--it makes laws and news and not much else--was speaking solemnly about the need for a "stimulus package," Sen. Bob Kerrey, the rarely solemn Nebraska Democrat who was then dating actress Debra Winger, said she was his stimulus package.<p>***Was he? Did he?***
<hr></blockquote>He dated her when he was governor; there was much made of her appearing with him at the guv's mansion. But I think it was a lot more than 10 years ago. I am too lazy to go look that up, though, let alone the quote! :)<p>[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: SusanV ]</p>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:00 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
By George F. Will
Ten years ago, the last time this non-economic city--it makes laws and news and not much else--was speaking solemnly about the need for a "stimulus package," Sen. Bob Kerrey, the rarely solemn Nebraska Democrat who was then dating actress Debra Winger, said she was his stimulus package.<p>
<hr></blockquote><p>great -- George Will talking about stimulation and not referring to baseball.
what does "non-economic city" mean? government has nothing to do with economics?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:24 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SusanV:
He dated her when he was governor; there was much made of her appearing with him at the guv's mansion. But I think it was a lot more than 10 years ago. I am too lazy to go look that up, though, let alone the quote! :) <p>[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: SusanV ]<hr></blockquote><p>Apparently at no time did Kerrey "date" Winger when he was a senator; by all available accounts the "relationship" ended in 1985; Kerrey was elected to the Senate in 1988. Winger subsequently married twice, not that that necessarily would disqualify her from "dating" Kerrey. There has been no suggestion of that over the years, however. I'm sure all this was checked out by Will's editors, so there must be an explanation.<p>[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:24 pm 

I must say that Will seems to have come up with an unneeded invention here: the unreadable sentence.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:16 pm 

<p>Apparently at no time did Kerrey "date" Winger when he was a senator; by all available accounts the "relationship" ended in 1985; Kerrey was elected to the Senate in 1988. Winger subsequently married twice, not that that necessarily would disqualify her from "dating" Kerrey. There has been no suggestion of that over the years, however. <hr></blockquote>
The former senator today confirmed in an e-mail to me that Will's account is incorrect.<p>[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]