Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Into the AP breech ....
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:42 pm 
SEATAC (AP) — Thousands of post-holiday travelers were delayed Sunday at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport after a screener for the Transportation Security Administration was discovered asleep at his post.
“There’s no indication anything happened. It’s just that somebody fell asleep,” airport spokesman Bob Parker said.
The federal TSA decided to evacuate all but one of the airport’s five concourses in case there had been a breech while the screener slept ....<p>*** I wonder if the AP editor was also asleep during a strategic period that day ....

Post subject: Re: Into the AP breech ....
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:59 am 

It still rubs me the wrong way that SeaTac can be a dateline ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:25 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pete Hahnloser:
It still rubs me the wrong way that SeaTac can be a dateline ...<hr></blockquote><p>Seatac is an incorporated municipality. http://www.seatac.wa.gov/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:03 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
Seatac is an incorporated municipality.<hr></blockquote><p>I'll be darned.<p>Actually, Phil, it's SeaTac, at least according to that link you provided. :D <p>So do you pronounce it see-tack or see-at-ack or sea-attack?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:25 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>The federal TSA decided to evacuate all but one of the airport’s five concourses in case there had been a breech while the screener slept ....
<hr></blockquote><p>*** I wonder if the AP editor was also asleep during a strategic period that day ....<p> That's a cheeky remark, but maybe the screener had been moonlighting.<p>[ January 06, 2003: Message edited by: Emily Salmon ]<p>[ January 06, 2003: Message edited by: Emily Salmon ]</p>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:44 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gary Kirchherr:
<p>
Actually, Phil, it's SeaTac, at least according to that link you provided. :D <p>So do you pronounce it see-tack or see-at-ack or sea-attack?
<hr></blockquote><p>See-Tack, if I remember right. And don't correct me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:51 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
<p>See-Tack, if I remember right. And don't correct me.<hr></blockquote><p>As someone whose home away from home is in western Washington, I can verify that it is, indeed, See-Tack.<p>Phil, you are correct.<p>(I forget, are we allowed to agree with you?)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:43 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Craig Lancaster:
<p>
(I forget, are we allowed to agree with you?)
<hr></blockquote><p>It's encouraged.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:21 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Emily Salmon:
<p>*** I wonder if the AP editor was also asleep during a strategic period that day ....<p> That's a cheeky remark, but maybe the screener had been moonlighting.<hr></blockquote><p>Eh? What's that got to do with the AP ed, who was obviously asleep at the switch?<p>[ January 06, 2003: Message edited by: SusanV ]</p>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:46 pm 
A sidebar to the SeaTac slaparound: This is a style issue that drives us in the great Pacific Northwest nuts, because there's SeaTac (the city) and Sea-Tac (the airport) ... woe betide the scribe or editor who forgets which is supposed to be hyphenated ....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:28 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SusanV:
<p>Eh? What's that got to do with the AP ed, who was obviously asleep at the switch?<p>[ January 06, 2003: Message edited by: SusanV ]<hr></blockquote><p>The federal TSA decided to evacuate all but one of the airport’s five concourses in case there had been a breech while the screener slept ....<p>*** I wonder if the AP editor was also asleep during a strategic period that day ....<p>That's a cheeky remark, but maybe the screener had been moonlighting.<p>It was a play on words.<p>[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: Emily Salmon ]</p>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:59 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Emily Salmon:
It was a play on words.<hr></blockquote><p>I don't get it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:45 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gary Kirchherr:
<p>I don't get it.<hr></blockquote><p>Okay, breech means butt, OK? Like a breech birth? I didn't say it was a *good* play on words, but neither do I think it was totally contrived, since there was some link between the meaning of moonlighting and the screener's falling asleep. Now, do I have to explain "moon"?
You people are putting me on, right?<p>[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:32 pm 

<p>You people are putting me on, right?<p><hr></blockquote><p>It wouldn't be any clearer if you whacked Kirchherr on the head with a club.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:05 am 

[QB]Okay, breech means butt, OK? Like a breech birth? I didn't say it was a *good* play on words, but neither do I think it was totally contrived. ...<hr></blockquote><p>Well, actually, I do, but I promise not to hold it against you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:47 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jim Thomsen:
A sidebar to the SeaTac slaparound: This is a style issue that drives us in the great Pacific Northwest nuts, because there's SeaTac (the city) and Sea-Tac (the airport) ... woe betide the scribe or editor who forgets which is supposed to be hyphenated ....<hr></blockquote><p>I still shudder at the idea of people near Federal Way thinking they needed an even more pathetic name for a municipality (at least they aren't in Renton -- though that might be a step up) ... then again, I live near the town of Broadway (amazingly, you can get used to *anything*).<p>That said, I have a question on a Virginia dateline. It's about McLean. The first time I saw it move on the AP, it moved McLEAN, which seems to go against the all-caps rule on datelines. Indeed, the stylebook makes no exception for "Mc" names, so I argued to put it all up. In the end, we did -- but a few days later the "c" was down when another editor did a page.<p>It could seem to read as "emm clean," which I suspect is the issue at hand, but one would think the AP had come to a decision on such datelines.<p>[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Pete Hahnloser ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:28 pm 

<p>Okay, breech means butt, OK? Like a breech birth? I didn't say it was a *good* play on words, but neither do I think it was totally contrived, since there was some link between the meaning of moonlighting and the screener's falling asleep. Now, do I have to explain "moon"?
You people are putting me on, right?<p>[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: blanp ]
<hr></blockquote>Putting you on, no. Contrived, yes. Being as the point was the editorial screwup, punning on the piece itself just didn't work for some of us. Sorry!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:37 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pete Hahnloser:
That said, I have a question on a Virginia dateline. It's about McLean. The first time I saw it move on the AP, it moved McLEAN, which seems to go against the all-caps rule on datelines. Indeed, the stylebook makes no exception for "Mc" names, so I argued to put it all up. In the end, we did -- but a few days later the "c" was down when another editor did a page.<p>It could seem to read as "emm clean," which I suspect is the issue at hand, but one would think the AP had come to a decision on such datelines.<p>[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Pete Hahnloser ]<hr></blockquote>We would do it MCLEAN if it ever came up. That's consistent with the way we style photo and art credits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]