Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Here's my blanp impersonation
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:28 pm 
NEW YORK (AP) -- Shania Twain is probably the most user-friendly musician on the planet right now.
Everything about her current album, "Up!", is
genetically engineered to please as many people as possible ....<p>*** No, it isn't.

Post subject: Re: Here's my blanp impersonation
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:34 am 

sounds like the enthusiast behind that gem got a couple of free discs...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:39 pm 

I prefer to think that Shania Twain is genetically engineered to please me. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:37 pm 
I get the impression from this story that if you'd simply buy one or two or 47 of her CDs, she'd be happy to recombine her DNA into just what you prefer ....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:38 pm 

Who is Shania Twain?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:18 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
Who is Shania Twain?<hr></blockquote>A barely so-so singer (who I admit is gorgeous and incredibly well put together), I think from Canada. She's been well packaged and by all accounts puts on a great show. But I can't stand her voice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:19 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SusanV:
A barely so-so singer (who I admit is gorgeous and incredibly well put together), I think from Canada. She's been well packaged and by all accounts puts on a great show. But I can't stand her voice.<hr></blockquote><p>She sings?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:22 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tim Hathcock:
<p>She sings?<hr></blockquote>Well, I did say barely so-so. I was actually going to call her a caterwauler, but then I decided to be charitable! :)<p>[ December 31, 2002: Message edited by: SusanV ]</p>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:28 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tim Hathcock:
<p>She sings?<hr></blockquote><p>Allegedly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:26 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SusanV:
I think from Canada.<hr></blockquote><p>From Timmins, Ont., a small, Northern Ontario mining town.
Should you ever read a Canadian newspaper you would find out her real first name is "Canada's own" as in Canada's own Shania Twain."
It seems like there is some kind of federal law that requires newspapers to tag on "Canada's own" to any entertainer who makes it big in the U.S.
Some on the list include Lorne Greene, Paul Anka and Rich Little (for you oldsters), Anne Murray, John Candy, The Guess Who, Dan Akroyd, Ferguson Jenkins, Peter Jennings, Andre the Giant, Celine Dion and Cirque de Soleil.
I think it is a lingering resentment from the time Canada's own Mary Pickford became "America's Sweetheart."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:02 pm 
Canadians are notoriously thin-skinned and hyper-conscious of American absorption of their contributions to popular culture (I can say this, being one of them, sort of.). A few months ago, while passing through an otherwise forgettable town on Vancouver Island, British Columbia called Ladysmith, I came across a billboard featuring a big picture of a buxom, peroxided blonde. Above the pic it said "SHE'S OURS!" and below it said "Birthplace of Pamela Anderson Lee." Another town further north on Vancouver island, Campbell River, affords the same treatment to a young second-tier actor named Barry Pepper.<p>I say this as a lifetime "Canadian when it's convenient." I unabashedly wore maple-leaf-insignia clothing during last year's Winter Olympics, and rooted lustily for the beleagured figure skating pair of Sale and Pelletier. Yet I haven't lived there since I was a wee sprat.<p>For more, see "Canadian Bacon." Or read an excellent and hilarious book called "Mondo Canuck: A Canadian Pop Culture Odyssey" ... a cheerfully ill-naatured grumble about homegrown Canadian talent that's been largely co-opted into the American mythology machine.<p>But make no mistake ... Canadians walk among us. Some may even be your neighbors. Be very afraid ... for someday they will rise up in rebellion and reclaim what is theirs. (Like Paul Anka, Neil Young, most good comedians, etc.)<p>Or not.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]