Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Weather story or Onion story?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:50 pm 

By Roberta Rampton <p>WINNIPEG, Manitoba (Reuters) - After examining 31 pig spleens, Canadian farmer Gus Wickstrom is sure of his six-month forecast for southwest Saskatchewan: snowstorms, mild spells and May rains. <p>The retired farmer from Tompkins, Saskatchewan, is one of a handful of people on the Prairies who forecasts the weather by examining the spleen of a freshly slaughtered pig . <p>"I look at it, I feel it with my fingers," Wickstrom told Reuters on Monday, explaining that depressions and fatty deposits on the 60-centimetre (2-foot) long organ tell him what the weather will be like, and when. <p>The forecast is accurate for a 320-kilometre (200-mile) radius around where the pig was slaughtered, more than 80 percent of the time, he said. <p>
"I'm right up there with (national forecast service) Environment Canada," Wickstrom said. "Lots of times they're not correct at all." <p>
The 64-year-old has been reading spleens for more than two decades, carrying on a tradition his great-great-grandfather brought to Canada from Sweden. <p>
When Western Canada was first settled, farmers would gather when weather turned cold to butcher hogs for the winter, and amuse themselves with spleen forecasts, Wickstrom explained. ...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Weather story or Onion story?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 8:29 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:
<p>When Western Canada was first settled, farmers would gather when weather turned cold to butcher hogs for the winter, and amuse themselves with spleen forecasts, Wickstrom explained. ...<hr></blockquote><p>By damn, that IS amusing, ADK.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Weather story or Onion story?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:05 pm 
One wonders what meterological mircales could be wrought with a pristine pancreas ....

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]