Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Killer Choirboys
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:38 am 

Perhaps JJMoney is right. Maybe I do need a vacation. The other night, I changed this construction for about the 40,000th time:<p>"A quartet of gunmen held up the Bumfville Bodega early Saturday...."<p>Why use "four" when you can use a longer, more colorful descriptor like "a quartet of" that leads "The Reader" to picture a bunch of guys with striped coats, soup-strainer mustaches armed with shaving mugs ripping a place off while singing "Goodbye, My Coney Island Baby?"<p>New World does list "a group of four people" as the first definition. But, for another example, when I read of a "trio" doing something, I can't get past thinking of the Mills Brothers or the Kingston Trio.<p>This is, like my obsession with "dumped" snow, a silly and unwinnable fight. Just because New World says something is OK doesn't mean go ahead and do it. After all, "bullshit" is in New World, and I have yet to see it in a headline.<p>Now how about that vacation?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Killer Choirboys
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:01 am 

Getting rid of duos, trios, quartets and quintents is just one of those things we have to do as a matter of routine. We won't save the world by doing so but we'll make it just a little more pleasant for "readers." <p>God. That reads like a Poynter essay. Sorry.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:31 am 

Poynter essay or not, I appreciate the backup on this. Now if I could only convince the rim editors that THEY should be doing it before it gets to slot...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:17 pm 
You fight the battle we all fight, every day. I get tired of changing the same things day after day, as well. Our young reporters are fond of cop-speak and government-speak, such as "Officers found a baggie of marijuana on the suspect" (no quantity given, let alone whether or not the bag used was the trademarked kind) and "Planning staff was directed to undergo a study on traffic patterns" (I trust you see the obvious problems there). They just ape what they see in reports and hear in hearings, and digest it uncritically, and pass it along to us. It drives me crazy, yes, but on the other hand, it makes me realize why my work is necessary, and it makes me feel good to know I do good work on behalf of our readers. <p>And, best of all, it gives me the high moral ground from which to bitch all shift long.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:55 pm 

Appreciate your support, Jim, but I have not been accused of being on high moral ground since I was 11.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:54 am 

And don't forget advocatespeak. (I've lost count of how many times I've had to ask, "What are the 'at-risk children' at risk of?")

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]