Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Quiz
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:08 am 

What story about a high-ranking leader of Congress and his nostaligia for Jim Crow is awfully slow getting to the front page of agenda-setting newspapers?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Quiz
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:32 pm 
My non-agenda-setting paper flogged the hell out of it, because I pick the stories and their placement for our Nation/World pages, and when I first saw that I thought: "Holy SHIT! I can't believe an allegedly savvy politician would say such a thing nowadays ... this deserves a lot of attention and exploration, because if it wasn't just a slip of the tongue -- and I don't believe it was -- then clearly conscious hatred of black people is just as alive and well in the South as it was during Thurmond's heyday, and if so, there needs to be a LOT more dialogue and dissection on and of this."<p>I'm shocked that Howell "I'm Aghast About Augusta" Raines didn't feel that way. Maybe he was out playing golf when that story broke ....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:38 pm 
Just read the Seattle papers on this issue over lunch ... The Seattle Post-Intelligencer used only a bottom-of-the-editorial page commentary by syndicated lefty columnist Paul Krugman, while The Seattle Times published a 13-inch story on A12, with a piece of art. The Krugman column openly asked why the media wasn't elevating the matter ....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:17 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jim Thomsen:
[QB]... The Seattle Post-Intelligencer used only a bottom-of-the-editorial page commentary by syndicated lefty columnist Paul Krugman ... /QB]<hr></blockquote><p>"Lefty columnist." Stop it. My sides are splitting.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:13 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jim Thomsen:
"... this deserves a lot of attention and exploration, because if it wasn't just a slip of the tongue -- and I don't believe it was -- then clearly conscious hatred of black people is just as alive and well in the South as it was during Thurmond's heyday, and if so, there needs to be a LOT more dialogue and dissection on and of this."
<hr></blockquote><p>Yeah, one asshole spouts off and we're back to 1948. Give me a break. Not that racism has been erased from the South, but there aren't white robes and hoods in closets everywhere, either. How about not lumping us all in together with that dipshit Trent Lott, please.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:29 pm 

In an interview with conservative radio talk show host Sean Hannity, Lott said his remarks “conveyed an impression that is not accurate.” He said that his reference to the country being better off was not about race and segregation but about Thurmond’s support for “a strong national defense and economic development and balanced budgets and opportunity.”<p>***OK. We were mistaken. End of controversy.***

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:01 pm 
Well, it appears that testycopyeditors.org has presciently set the agenda for the nation, as the Lott story has now become an A1 story also topping several TV newscasts -- now that Bush has leaped into the condemnation fray and many Republican leaders have leaked word that Lott's political future hangs in the balance ....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:42 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
What story about a high-ranking leader of Congress and his nostaligia for Jim Crow is awfully slow getting to the front page of agenda-setting newspapers?<hr></blockquote><p>Phil, we've disagreed on some issues here, but this post really is a disappointment. Come, now. You don't really think Lott's nostalgic for Jim Crow, now, do you?<p>At least Lott apologized, and sincerely, for something he said about Thurmond at the 100-year-old's birthday party. Funny, I don't recall all sorts of indignation or demands for apologies and resignations when ex-Klansman Sen. Robert Byrd started spouting off about "white n******" last year. I don't even hear any complaints from Democrats - or the media - about Byrd being an ex-Klansman, or demands that he issue a mea culpa. Gee, why do you suppose Lott's being crucified for one foolish remark, while guys like Byrd get a free pass?<p>Lott's comments were unfortunate and demonstrated a momentary lack of judgment. But criticism of him from Democrats and the media is hard to take seriously when they both have such unabashed double standards.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 6:20 am 

Whether I think Lott is nostalgic for Jim Crow is irrelevant. My original point is that the Nrw York Times and the Washington Post were slow to go to Page 1 with the story.<p>Byrd has been excoriated for years for his Klan past, and rightly so. He did "apologize" for his "white niggers" remark, probably with the same degree of sincerity as Lott displayed when apologizing for the Strom Thurmond remark.<p>[ December 13, 2002: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]