Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Take a breath, Scott
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 10:52 pm 

By SCOTT SHEPARD
Cox News Service
WASHINGTON -Is America ready to be led by another
Massachusetts senator, a former Navy war hero with the initials
``JFK,'' a rich, Catholic Bostonian with patrician looks and a
glamorous wife, a forward-looking Democrat with a challenge to
countrymen to be a part of something larger than themselves?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Take a breath, Scott
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:22 pm 

No.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:53 pm 

OK, here's a truly testy challenge: What's the longest lede you weren't allowed to change?<p>I remember one of 43 words that got me in trouble for using the count as the basis for my argument, years ago.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 12:04 am 

I don't remember, Pete. When I am told not to change something, it just makes me more likely to do it out of principle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:47 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bumfketeer:
I don't remember, Pete. When I am told not to change something, it just makes me more likely to do it out of principle.<hr></blockquote><p>My boy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:43 am 

On the other hand, while at the Regina Leader-Post we had a 20-word maximum on leads, with a requirement that people be fully identified by their proper title.
This was difficult at the time when a lot of news was eminating from the Saskatchewan Diamand Jubilee and Canada Centennial Corporation Ltd. By the time you add four words for the chairman's (this was the 60s) name and "said" you didn't have much to play around with.
Similar problem about the same time with the Committee for Truth Beauty and Justice in the Zoning of South Regina. Memorable acronym, that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:24 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KfitzR:
On the other hand, while at the Regina Leader-Post we had a 20-word maximum on leads, with a requirement that people be fully identified by their proper title.
<hr></blockquote><p>You're joking.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:18 pm 
I think Kfitz's memoir of a life in journalism should be titled "The Regina Monologues" ....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:45 pm 

Good thread. Many laughs per word.<p>We had a 25-word limit and try that with names such as Grand Coulee Area Chamber of Commerce and Gig Harbor Peninsula Area Chamber of Commerce.<p>templestark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:29 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jim Thomsen:
I think Kfitz's memoir of a life in journalism should be titled "The Regina Monologues" ....<hr></blockquote><p>Badda-Boom! Congratulations, Jim Thomsen, consider yourself an honourary Canadian for picking on Regina. (The monologue angle has made its way into a lot of jokes on this side of the fence.)
Citizenship benefits allow you to:
* pretend to be morally superior to Americans;
* shout "harder, harder, hurry, harder" in public places;
* claim Swedes have no place in the National Hockey League if they are "afraid to drop the gloves;"
* complain that drinking Budweiser or Coors is like making love in a canoe.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:59 pm 
Sorry, but I AM one of you ... I was born in Campbell River, B.C. and lived there till age nine. I retain dual citizenship to this day and live just a short ferry ride from Victoria. <p>I enjoy feeling morally superior to myself.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 1:37 pm 

Yeah, well, here in Michigan we have a tendency to take Canadian coins at par.<p>Just don't think you can get away with it with dollar coins. And don't try to buy your cheap gas with $15 worth of change.<p>/attempts to fit in with the 'nucks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:49 pm 

The Committee for Truth Beauty and Justice in the Zoning of South Regina. Are you kidding? Truth, Beauty, and Justice at a zoning meeting? Wow! And what was the acronym? CTBJZSB ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 12:37 am 

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JasonC:
[QB]Yeah, well, here in Michigan we have a tendency to take Canadian coins at par.<p>They do that in upstate New York coffee machines; too much trouble to sort them out, I guess. But in Ohio, it's strictly legal tender, no exceptions -- which means you can get 'em, but you can't give 'em back. Even more surprising, people take the trouble to check!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]