Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: A "play" on words?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:03 am 

I came across a stupid headline in Newsweek yesterday. It was over an interview with Nicole Kidman, Meryl Streep and another actress whose name I forget. They are starring in a movie based on a novel loosely based on Virginia Woolf's novel Mrs. Dalloway. The headline was . . . <p>Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?<p>The only connection between the new movie and this old play is that one is based on a title by Virginia Woolf and the other has "Virginia Woolf" in its title.<p>As you probably know, Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton starred in the movie version of Edward Albee's play. So this gives me another opportunity to mention a headline that once appeared in the Albany Times Union (or so I'm told) after one of their breakups:<p>Liz loses Dick, keeps jewels

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: A "play" on words?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:18 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:
So this gives me another opportunity to mention a headline that once appeared in the Albany Times Union (or so I'm told) after one of their breakups:<p>Liz loses Dick, keeps jewels<hr></blockquote><p>"Aprocryphal."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:37 am 

I've always thought this was apocryphal, too.<p>However, I will vouch for one hed that actually did appear in the Albany paper. It was subbed in by a makeup editor (no name here) in a rush to make business deadline, as I recall.<p>The story (this was about '90-'91): Wang Corp. (you see it coming about now) came out with a proposal for a smaller version of their then-embryonic personal computers.<p>The hed: New Wang would be much smaller<p>Because the author was the first one to yell "Oh, my God!" when the paper came up, I've always suspected it was a scam to get a "keeper" headline into the throwaway first edition.<p>Not a good practice, but I must say it is a memorable headline.<p>(I should mention, before someone asks, that the hed was not put through slot.)<p>[ December 05, 2002: Message edited by: Bumfketeer ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:30 am 

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bumfketeer:
[QB]I've always thought this was apocryphal, too.<p>All I can say in my defense is that is that it fit a small, one-column space.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:32 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bumfketeer:
The story (this was about '90-'91): Wang Corp. (you see it coming about now) came out with a proposal for a smaller version of their then-embryonic personal computers.
<hr></blockquote><p>It was actually much later, '96 or so, when the new Wang was emerging from Chapter 11. Doesn't make the hed any better, though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:45 pm 

The same paper ran this hed over a fishing column: "Use long rod for largemouth."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:27 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:
The same paper ran this hed over a fishing column: "Use long rod for largemouth."<hr></blockquote><p>That one I remember.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:03 am 

The same paper ran this hed over a fishing column: "Use long rod for largemouth."<hr></blockquote><p>Don't forget this one: "Man erect long before intelligent."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:22 pm 

Well, as long as we're fessing up, how 'bout "Aaaaaaaaaaaah!"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:18 pm 

Oh my god. I can say I'm mildly shocked that these couple get through. <p>"Use long rod for largemouth."<p>"Man erect long before intelligent."<p>Funny as hell, but they got through????<p>Ha-ha

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]