Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Oh, shut up
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:46 am 

From an "overview" of the recent Nieman Program on Narrative Journalism conference. (here) <p>
The conference itself was built with the advancing state of narrative in mind. A keynote panel explored ways to move narrative "Beyond Mawkishness and Mayhem." It suggested that simple ‘cliffhanger’ or ‘endangered child’ narrative mobilizes readers’ curiosity and enjoyment, and help induce these readers to come back tomorrow – such elemental narratives are useful readership-builders.
But the panel also suggested that narrative has powers to grip readers and lead them far beyond mere cliffhanging through the richest sorts of reporting -- narrative journalism has proved to be effective for organizing complex material around human stories, for exploring the routine, the personal, for handling events with complex histories, for describing processes of discovery and of personal change (for better and worse), for coordinating examinations of complex activities by dispersed parties.<p>[ November 22, 2002: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Oh, shut up
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:36 am 

Whato the ... does that mean?
Two office acronyms come to mind:
FIIK (if I know) and BTHOOM (Beats the Hell out of me).
And I tend to think of myself as literate.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Oh, shut up
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:30 pm 
Somebody once wrote a great parody of the newfound obsession with narrative journalism by applying the windy, self-centered technique to a mock story on President Kennedy's assassination. Anybody ever read that or know where it can be found? It's a classic -- and points up everything that's wrong with masturbatory prose in print.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]