Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: For instance ....
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:44 pm 

Nu Shortcuts in School R 2 Much 4 Teachers
By JENNIFER 8. LEE
(nytimes.com)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: For instance ....
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:02 pm 

From "8"'s story:<p>Others say that the instant-messaging style might simply be a fad, something that students will grow out of. Or they see it as an opportunity to teach students about the evolution of language.<p>"I turn it into a very positive teachable moment for kids in the class," said Erika V. Karres, an assistant professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill who trains student teachers. She shows students how English has evolved since Shakespeare's time. "Imagine Langston Hughes's writing in quick texting instead of `Langston writing,' " she said. "It makes teaching and learning so exciting."<p>***Oh, shut up.***

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:04 pm 

.. or should I say:<p>fuX0r h0m0<p>[ September 19, 2002: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:07 pm 

Other teachers encourage students to use messaging shorthand to spark their thinking processes. "When my children are writing first drafts, I don't care how they spell anything, as long as they are writing," said Ms. Fogarty, the sixth-grade teacher from Houlton, Maine.<p>***Stay away from my son, Ms. Fogarty.***

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:11 pm 

Ms. Bova shares the view that instant-messaging language can help free up their creativity. With the help of students, she does not even need the cheat sheet to read the shorthand anymore.<p>"I think it's a plus," she said. "And I would say that with a + sign."<p>***Imagine for a moment the world of Ms. Bova.***

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:59 pm 

"Ms. Bova had a student type up a reference list of translations for common instant-messaging expressions. She posted a copy on the bulletin board by her desk and took another one home to use while grading."<p>** After sending an instant message with standard "shortcuts" to Ms. Bova, she replied with only a corrected version of my message. <p>"How did you get a teaching degree, homosexual? I am currently winking and smiling."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 10:01 pm 

What Ms. Karres fails to remember is that Shakespearean English was still recognizable as English. l33t 5p34k is not.<p>Now, if the point were teaching our children to be lazy and ignorant, this would be acceptable.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 2:38 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
From "8"'s story:<p>Others say that the instant-messaging style might simply be a fad, something that students will grow out of. Or they see it as an opportunity to teach students about the evolution of language.<hr></blockquote><p>Truly an ironic observation, coming as it does from a reporter whose middle name is 8.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:18 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
.. or should I say:<p>fuX0r h0m0<p>[ September 19, 2002: Message edited by: blanp ]<hr></blockquote><p>Could you translate this, please?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 3:42 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:
<p>Could you translate this, please?<hr></blockquote><p>I'd rather not. I'm kind of ashamed of it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 3:42 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dyslexic:
"How did you get a teaching degree, homosexual? I am currently winking and smiling."<hr></blockquote><p>And for this, too, please

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:55 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by canuck:
<p>And for this, too, please<hr></blockquote><p>The original message would have been, "h0w d1d u g3t 4 t34cH1ng d3Gr33 h0m0 ;) "

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 12:27 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dyslexic:
The original message would have been, "h0w d1d u g3t 4 t34cH1ng d3Gr33 h0m0 ;) "<hr></blockquote><p>d4|\/||\|, `/00 d00dz ® 2 l337 4 |\/|3!!!11!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 2:04 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gary Kirchherr:
<p>d4|\/||\|, `/00 d00dz ® 2 l337 4 |\/|3!!!11!!!<hr></blockquote><p>OK now I'm really lost. ???

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:21 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SusanV:
<p>OK now I'm really lost. ???<hr></blockquote><p>1 = L
3 = E
4 = A
7 = T
`/ = Y
|\/| = M
|\| = N
And of course, fux0r = the "F" word<p>See what you miss by not hanging out in AOL chat rooms?
;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:47 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gary Kirchherr:
<p>See what you miss by not hanging out in AOL chat rooms?
;)
<hr></blockquote><p>Yep. Obviously I can continue to live the rest of my life without missing anything! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:00 pm 

Wait, are you saying this "8" thing is not a typo?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:07 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica ,sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ramblerdan:
Wait, are you saying this "8" thing is not a typo?<hr></blockquote><p>If you are referring to Jennifer 8, yes (no?), it's not a typo, it's her name. Sometime last year, I think, she wrote a story about young Chinese who were adding all sorts of English words to their names. I forget why. I think she had some explanation for her 8 that was connected. I forget. You can see it made a huge impression on me. :roll:<p>[ September 26, 2002: Message edited by: SusanV ]</p>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:56 pm 

Jennifer 8 explained her middle number in a 1996 story in the Boston Globe, which is reproduced below without permission. There remains no explanation of why editors let her use it in bylines.<p>At first sight, everyone thinks my middle initial is a typo - a mutant "B" perhaps, or a hyperextended "S." It seems bizarre - an unnatural junction of math and English. But when it appears again and again, the question arises: It isn't really an 8, is it? <p>Indeed it is. I am not named after the Uma Thurman movie ("Jennifer 8"), nor am I the eighth child in my family. To quench the curiosity I've so often encountered, I'll explain the origins of my numerical middle initial. It comes from Chinese numerology, where the number 8 is highly revered as a symbol of good fortune. My wacky middle initial arose from the generic quality of the rest of my name. In their great wisdom, my parents decided to pair Lee, the second most common Chinese surname, with the most popular name for newborn girls in 1976, Jennifer. <p>Jennifer Lee (like David Kim and Michael Chang), is one of the John Smiths of Asian-American names. Of the 18,000 applicants to Harvard's class of 2000, 12 were Jennifer Lees - more than any other single name. <p>The mix-ups in mail, e-mail and college applications are things I've grown used to. But when my family realized I was one of about 10,000 Jennifer Lees in the United States (at least 70 in New York City, where I'm from) the adoption of a middle initial seemed to be in order. And appealing to Chinese superstition, we arrived at a natural choice: the number 8. My identity has not been confused since. <p>Unfortunately, many computers are not equipped to handle a nonalphabet letter in the middle-name field of their databases, though I've had offers from companies and organizations that they would consider reprogramming their computers. So sometimes I sit initial-less or am forced to spell out the eight. <p>So why 8? <p>The number 8 has a near-mystical following in Chinese society. License plates with 8s are auctioned off for astronomical prices (which almost always contain an 8) in Hong Kong. In Taiwan, phone numbers with an excessive number of 8s can be purchased from the phone company. Chinese-American businesses are bouncing in glee at the toll-free 888 numbers that were recently introduced. <p>And the respect does not end at the fringes of Chinese society. The multimillion-dollar business executive reveres the number 8 as much as a pop in a mom-and-pop noodle shop. As any American business executive who has worked with Chinese companies can attest, the Chinese are adamant that closing prices always contain 8s. Instead of buying a building in Shanghai for $ 10 million, the purchasing price will often be $ 10,008,888. <p>On a visit to the United States, Chinese businessmen rubbed the head of an infant son of a Boston executive for good luck. The baby had been born on Aug. 8, 1988 - supposedly one of the luckiest days in this century. I was actually in Taiwan that summer, and I remember the hoopla that surrounded the occasion, more so than if an eclipse occurred on Feb. 29. <p>It has been exactly eight years since Aug. 8, 1988 - so perhaps today will bring good luck as well. <p>The reverence for eights follows Chinese immigrants to this side of the world. <p>There is a Chinese supermarket on Herald Street near Chinatown called 88 and a restaurant called Bat Dat, for "Eight Successes." <p>And the reverence for eights will even emerge in sinister situations. Last summer in New York City, a Chinese gang kidnapped a Chinese woman, handcuffed her to a radiator and demanded $ 38,000 in ransom from her family. They proceeded to lower that to $ 28,000 and finally down to $ 10,800, before police caught them and released the woman. Even criminals appeal to blessings from Chinese numerology. The reverence for the number 8, comes from its pronunciation in Chinese - ba (in Mandarin) and bat (in Cantonese) - which has a similar intonation to the Chinese word for fortune - fa (in Mandarin) and fat (in Cantonese). That fat is the fat in the "gong hay fat choy (congratulations and good fortune)," a greeting for the Chinese New Year. <p>Admittedly, the homophone is somewhat of a stretch, nowhere near how the number 4 - si (with a downward tone) - approximates the word for death - si (with a falling then rising tone). <p>The Chinese language is full of the homophonic associations that come with a limited combination of consonant, vowels and tones. The New Year's banquet table is filled with quasi-homophones: Apples, oranges and fish are served because they respectively sound like the Chinese words for "peace," "luck" and "plentiful." Clocks should never be given as presents to Chinese families because the word for clock, zhong, is an exact homophone for the word for final - or death. <p>Chinese culture impresses me in the way it continues to weave the superstitions and traditions of 5,000 years together with the needs of modern society. But what I also find elegant is the natural way that numbers are interwoven into the Chinese language. <p>As an applied math and economics major who is striving to become a journalist, I am stymied by how little the spheres of the technical and mathematical and of the written and literary overlap. The raised eyebrows, smirks and skeptical looks my middle initial and I encounter have made me realize how odd the juxtaposition of number and name is. <p>It is not unusual for Chinese parents to put numbers in their children's Chinese names, though generally they try to aim for something more creative. <p>Our family friends, the Lius, named their first son Yi, which quite simply means "One." Fortunately, the second son escaped being named "Two." <p>Other families did not stop counting after their first child. I know one family in New York City (also Lees) who based their children's Chinese names on one through five. <p>Except for the character Six on the NBC television show "Blossom," and some passing superstitions on the numbers 7 and 13, numerology and numerical names are absent from mainstream Western culture. <p>So I sit, as a quirky Asian-American girl, at a very mainstream American newspaper, holding a flag that displays my cultural heritage and my love of numbers. Who knows? Perhaps one day I will give my children numbers for middle initials. And why stop at rational numbers? I have always thought pi (3.14159) or Euler's e (2.718), which appear all over mathematics, would make nice middle names. Don't you?<p>***No.***<p>[ September 26, 2002: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]